1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports designer, Davenport IA

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by wickedwritah, Jun 13, 2006.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

First, the job listing from jjobs.com:
    Company: Quad-City Times
    Position:
    SPORTS DESIGNER / COPY EDITOR
    Job Status: Not Specified
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires:
    July 18, 2006
    Job ID: 535905
    Description:
    SPORTS DESIGNER / COPY EDITOR Quad-City Times

The Quad-City Times -- 2005 winner of APSE prestigious Top Ten sports section -- is on the hunt for a sports designer/copy editor. WE NEED TO FILL THIS NOW!!!

We're looking for someone with a sharp design eye, a keen sense of sports news and a sound wordsmith. You'll need to know Photoshop and Quark for starters, Freehand would be a bonus.

The Times is a 53,000 daily/70,000 Sunday newspaper located along the Mississippi River in Davenport, Iowa (one of the famed Quad-Cities). The Quad-City region (population 350,000) is an outdoors hotbed and an active community with great parks, the mighty river, a great bike path system and social events all year long. We have minor league baseball, Arena Football and UHL hockey. Also, we're close to Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Louis, Minneapolis and Omaha.

If you want to be part of a team that continues to push the limits, look no further. You either can send us clips, a link to your portfolio, a CD -- anything -- to show us you've got what we're looking for.

The Quad-City Times Attn: Designer 500 E. 3rd St. Davenport, IA 52801 Fax: (563) 383-2223 Email: jobs@qctimes.com

The Quad-City Times is a Drug Free Employer. The Quad-City Times (www.qctimes.com), and Lee Enterprises, Inc. (www.lee.net) are Equal Opportunity Employers. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin or disability.

-----------

I saw the A1 design they were (I believe they've stopped it) doing recently, and the best way to describe it was P.T. Barnum meets newsprint. All for the sake of single-copy sales.

I didn't see the sports front, but I'm hoping it was a little less gaudy.

2. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

[​IMG]

Unavailable for comment.

3. House

House Guest

That's practically in Lee's corporate office.

4. beardown

beardown Member

Good paper, good area. They cover Iowa, Illinois, Iowa State and Chicago teams. It's one of the best papers its size.

5. playball3

playball3 New Member

I think this is pretty good stepping stone job if you are looking to move up. This place has had a lot of good people over the years and still does. Ive been told the designers have lots of freedom

Draft saved Draft deleted