1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Designer/Copy Editor at the Orlando Sentinel

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Matt Humphrey, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Matt Humphrey

Matt Humphrey New Member

The Orlando Sentinel has an immediate opening for a designer/copy editor on its award-winning sports desk. We seek a motivated, multi-tasking self-starter who is proficient at editing copy AND capable of producing eye-catching pages in an intense, deadline environment.

Internet experience is a plus. Nights and weekends are a given.

The successful candidate will have at least five years experience on a sports copy desk, show strong organizational skills and work well with a team of like-minded professionals.

You will edit copy, design pages and contribute to the Web site as we blaze a trail to the new frontier of newspapers and sports journalism.

Please send your resume and clips to:

Matt Humphrey
    Assistant Sports Editor
    Orlando Sentinel
    633 North Orange Ave.
    P.O. Box 2833
    Orlando, FL 32802

mhumphrey@orlandosentinel.com

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I guess it's good news when anyone is hiring, but how can this be possible?

20% of the newsroom gets gutted . . . and now an opening needs to be filled?

If I'm one of those 20 percent, I'm feeling even more bitter.

3. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Several friends have mentioned internal hiring memos for positions needed to be filled. I think it's typical considering all the larger salaries dumped that can be replaced with cheaper/less-experienced labor.
    Unfortunately, it's just the nature of things.

4. WoodyWommack

WoodyWommack Member

Matt Humphrey is awesome.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Yeah I must say, I would be very bitter if I had just lost my job there.

Sadly, this is where the trend is going- hire someone in for less- even though journalists make crap to begin with.

6. Editude

Editude Active Member

Each succeeding newspaper generation, and in this environment that could mean each 18 months, will pay its workers comparatively less. It's only a matter of relatively few years that this will not be seen as even a potential middle-class career arc.

7. Donegan17

Donegan17 New Member

Why keep someone in a job when you can lay them off and hire someone new for out of school for half the price? Got to keep that 15 percent profit margin somehow.

8. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Fixed.

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Once upon a time, papers this size didn't have positions that did editing and design.

10. Y-town Pride

Y-town Pride New Member

Unfortunately, that time is long gone. Say hello to the new title of reporter/copy editor/designer/desk clerk/photographer. The bright spot is you're paid less.

11. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Nothing like getting paid a shitty salary for doing 6 jobs. Exactly why the hell I got outta dodge with this business.

12. airbag2929

airbag2929 New Member

I have sent off resume and clips for this job a and am waiting for a call back. To tell you the truth, the salary I was quoted when I inquired about the job through email was about 15k more than I make now at a 80k-100k circulation paper. I know that may not seem like much, but for me, it is. I guess if I get an interview, I check it out and see if it is worth it to move.

Draft saved Draft deleted