1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports designer--Chicago Tribune

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Kellams, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Kellams

Kellams New Member

Hi gang. We have an opening to be a designer in the Sports section of the Chicago Tribune. With all due respect to the rest of the country, there may be no better town in America to be involved in Sports. And if you're a designer for the Tribune Sports section, you're certainly involved. We're a CCI shop but don't let that scare you, InDesign and Quark gurus. You'll also have a Mac at your desk with all the usual tools you would expect. Send us your clips, links to your newspagedesigner Web page or anything else you have. We're looking to fill this job quick with a great candidate. Don't delay.

Mike Kellams
    Sports editor
    Chicago Tribune
    435 N. Michigan Ave.
    Chicago, IL 60611
    mkellams@tribune.com

2. boots

boots New Member

Mike, thanks for letting the people know about the position. I have one question. With so much talk about cutbacks with the parent company, should one be concerned that they could be axed within say a year or two?

3. Kellams

Kellams New Member

We're not a union shop (no offense, I walked in Detroit in 95, been on both sides) so it's not based on seniority.

And I know everyone probably thinks this thought after each cut, but we're at what I would consider the barest minimum to get the paper out seven days a week. If this job goes, it's because they turned the lights out on all of us.

Mike

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Damn. I would have been all over this job about three months ago, although I wouldn't have had a chance. Good luck to all those who apply.

5. boots

boots New Member

'95 in Detroit was more than ugly Mike. People are still hurting over that 12 years later and I know you know a few who I'm referring to.
    Here's hoping they don't turn out the lights and say the party's over.

6. Kellams

Kellams New Member

One note I should have mentioned above: Candidates should have 3-5 years of experience working in Sports, be proficient in InDesign/Quark and Photoshop and know the AP stylebook.

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

How much time do they get to memorize your stylebook? :D

And tell Sully the name of the song is Insane in the Brain, not Insane in the Membrane. ;)

8. Kellams

Kellams New Member

Will do. Thanks for reading Hardball.

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Bump. Any news?

10. satchmo

satchmo Member

I got the "thanks for your stuff, but we've got our quota of retarded staff members" email from them about three weeks ago, but that's it so far.

11. Kellams

Kellams New Member

FTR, I never said retarded.

Sorry I don't have much news on this. We're getting closer but I'm not in a spot to make anything definitive yet.

And I mean this sincerely: Thanks for your interest.

Mike

12. NoOneYouKnow

NoOneYouKnow Member

Mike,

Could you give some insight to this position, in terms of what you're looking for? Meaning, is this a lead design role or more of a supporting cast member?

Thanks for you input.

Draft saved Draft deleted