1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Designer -- Bradenton (Fla.) Herald,

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by dkphxf, Mar 11, 2011.

1. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

The Bradenton Herald, a McClatchy newspaper on Florida's Gulf Coast, is seeking a sharp layout editor with an emphasis on sports to join our Universal Desk.

You are the ideal candidate if you have keen designing, copy-editing and communications skills, and a strong sports news judgment. You will be designing our sports section most nights, with an occasional stint handling 1A or Local. Skills in inDesign, PhotoShop and Illustrator are required. 2 years’ experience at a daily newspaper required.

Benefit package includes medical, dental, vision, life, disability plans and 401(k) plan. Please send your resume and cover letter with design and headline samples to jkrauter@bradenton.com.

Per: http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1239942

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I was just going to post this. Good people down there, and living on the Gulf Coast doesn't suck.

3. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Beautiful area. Just a hop, skip and a jump from Tampa.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Did they ever clean up all the oil from the spill last year?

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Was the Tampa area even affected by the spill? I didn't hear of anything.

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

To get this thread back on track, the relatively new sports editor (who's been at the paper awhile) is a good guy, very easy to work with.

7. It was. But a recent USF study showed it's cleaned up pretty well around there already with some trace gunk left under the sand.

Don't know much about the paper, but it's a great area to live and work.

8. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

I live in Tampa. The beaches around here were not affected by the oil disaster in any serious way. A tar ball or two, but that's it ... the actual damage took place hundreds of miles to the north and west.

I spent a brief tenure as SE at the Herald, and there are a lot of worse places you can find yourself. It wasn't a good fit for me, personally, but anyone looking to step up from a weekly or a small daily can thrive. This is a community that actually cares about its local newspaper, and vice versa.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Second that. As a designer you'd have a hand in some excellent h.s. football coverage. Bradenton is also home to the IMG Academies, where many a prodigy has gone to hone golf and tennis skills.

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Good luck getting anything worthwhile out of IMG. But I will second the notion on the greatness of the prep football. It's also enjoyable to be able to hop on the Sunshine Skyway on a day off to take in some baseball at the Trop or an occasional Bucs game.

11. CuseAlumnus

CuseAlumnus New Member

I'm currently at the Herald. So if you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Draft saved Draft deleted