1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Design Coordinator, Springdale, Ark.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by ChipSouza, Jul 13, 2011.

1. ChipSouza

ChipSouza Member

This one will be posted at jjobs shortly, but wanted to get it out there quickly. Northwest Arkansas Newspapers in Springdale has an opening for a lead sports designer/coordinator. This person is basically the ASE for design and oversees the night sports desk. We produce 4 hyper-local dailies. This person would also have a big hand in designing the fan magazine Hawgs Illustrated, which produces about 20 issues a year. Looking for someone with sports background. Shoot me a PM or email (csouza@nwaonline.com) if you have any questions and I will do what I can to answer them. I know they are looking to move as quickly as possible. You can also send resumes with design clips my way and I will move them along.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Unless Chip has changed radically as he gets older, I can say from experience that whoever gets this gig will have lots of freedom to do their thing.

3. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Buyer beware: You get to work with Chip, which is a plus, but unfortunately deal with me, as well.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

5. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

In all seriousness, though, any questions about the job itself should obviously be directed toward Chip, but if you're wondering anything about the area or the sports culture here, I'd be happy to lend my two cents.

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I could lend my $17, but I don't want a bunch of people contacting me.

7. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

If there was only a thread that could tell me about moving to Arkansas....

8. ChipSouza

ChipSouza Member

Here is the ad posted at jjobs
    Northwest Arkansas' premier source of news and information seeks a full-time sports coordinator for our design desk. The best candidate can edit sports stories under deadline pressure and design pages that reflect the action and emotion of competition. This person will need to write eye-catching headlines and work with the sports editor and other designers to execute pages that build readership.

Experience in sports design and editing is required. Basic journalism knowledge and knowledge of AP style are also required. Experience in Adobe InDesign, NewsEdit Pro, Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop are also helpful. Must work nights and weekends.

We offer an excellent salary and a full benefits package.

Send resumes and examples of work to: Sports Designer Position, Northwest Arkansas Newspapers, 2560 N. Lowell Road, P.O. Box 7, Springdale AR 72765 OR e-mail: jobs@nwaonline.com (put Sports Designer in subject line).

EOE - Drug Screen Required

Draft saved Draft deleted