1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports copy editor, Utica, NY

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Feb 27, 2009.

1. That is correct.

Why even post these jobs that, two weeks later, are frozen?

2. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Because, in this case, the job was posted without asking corporate if they could fill it.

3. Regardless, you start playing with a lot of folks' emotions when you go that route and two weeks later, it's "oops, guess we can't fill it." And, not only that, a lot of people wasted a lot of time putting together clips, a cover letter, doing some research on the paper, etc.

Here's an idea: perhaps run it by, I don't know, the corporate schleps in advance.

I know times (specifically, the economy) are changing rapidly, but my God. In the past, probably, four months I've applied to a half-dozen sports-related jobs. All but one were frozen. And not two or three months down the line, but two or three weeks. How 'bout a little foresight, people?

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah, got an email today saying they weren't going to fill it.

Oh, well, isn't the first paper to make that decision after posting a job opening. This entire industry is screwed.

Draft saved Draft deleted