1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports copy editor, The Washington Times

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by John Taylor, Aug 22, 2007.

1. John Taylor

John Taylor Member

The Washington Times, a 100,000-circulation daily in Washington, D.C., seeks a sports copy editor with pagination and design skills to play a key role in the presentation of the section.

Candidates should have experience at a daily newspaper and be able to work on tight deadlines and adjust to breaking news. Knowledge of Quark and Photoshop is a plus.

Working nights and weekends is required. The candidate should have a passion for sports and work well with others.

To apply, send a cover letter, resume and no more than 10 samples to:

Mark Hartsell
    Sports Editor
    The Washington Times
    3600 New York Ave. NE
    Washington, D.C. 20002

And of course, if you have any other questions, feel free to shoot me an e-mail: jtaylor@washingtontimes.com

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Who's leaving?

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

John, how much experience are you guys seeking?

4. John Taylor

John Taylor Member

We've got two guys leaving: one is going back to school to become a teacher, another is switching careers/getting out of the biz.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Well hopefully the new hire will get to work with Harrison Goodman, who I'm told is one of the good guys in the business.

6. John Taylor

John Taylor Member

Some experience, which yes I realize is vague. We want folks who have done this before, who know what they're doing, who are good at what they do. We'd consider someone without much experience if they have shown they can do the job -- and do it well. It never hurts to apply.

7. John Taylor

John Taylor Member

Indeed, he's a great guy and an amazing designer. And, currently on his honeymoon -- for his sake, hopefully somewhere where it's not raining 24-7 like it is here.

8. VJ

VJ Member

Thanks for checking in, Harrison. ;)

9. John Taylor

John Taylor Member

Just giving this a bump.

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

The rest of the paper may be run by moonbats, but John's section is always very good. They don't do any high school sports, but their pro and college coverage, at least in terms of local teams, is as good as you'll find anywhere else. Nothing gets by Pat Stevens on the Terps beat, and some of the other writers they have do a great job of coming up with good, creative stuff. I imagine someone on the copy desk is going to have a good time dealing with that crew there.

11. VJ

VJ Member

I want to be Patrick Stevens when I grow up.

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Start memorizing every sports almanac, even the most obscure, from cover to cover. Then every other book detailing the history of sports, from baseball to jousting to gopher polo played in Trombalonobekistan, and you can be a Patrick Stevens-lite.

Draft saved Draft deleted