1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports copy editor, The (Norfolk) Virginian-Pilot

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Versatile, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

From Journalism Jobs: https://commsjobs.ats.hrsmart.com/cgi-bin/a/highlightjob.cgi?jobid=3047

Here's the individual job listing:

I think this is one of the finest newspapers with a circulation of less than 200,000 in the country. Norfolk is near Newport News, Hampton Roads and Virginia Beach as part of the Hampton Roads area, which Mystery Meat II thinks should be called Tidewater. It's an area with all types of lifeforms, some awful areas and some great ones. There are also three other staff positions open: a city hall writer, a copy desk chief and a designer. Here's the full information.

Looks like they only have up the information to apply online, so just click one of the links.

2. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

As an area native, as evidenced by how I say Nawfouk, allow me to clear up something on the geography. Norfolk, Virginia Beach and Newport News are part of Hampton Roads, which is the name for the metropolitan area (it's also the name for the body of water connecting the James River with the Chesapeake Bay). I still say the area should be called Tidewater, but that ship has long since sailed.

Good paper that, like every other consequential paper in the country, is not what it used to be thanks to layoffs and job freezes. They still do good work there, and of course their design is always cutting edge.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Edited.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

SE is a former Rocky co-worker and good people.

5. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Damn, three years of experience to work AGATE?!?!?!

rb

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Experience guidelines should only prevent you from applying to a job in the cases where the listing says "Must have 10 years at a major metro newspaper" and you've got two.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

They won't hurt for applicants on this one. Still a very good newspaper and, as Mile High noted, the SE Colleen McDaniel is top notch.

Landmark to this point has avoided the consolidated editing centers.

Draft saved Draft deleted