1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports copy editor, The Herald-Dispatch -- Huntington, W.Va.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Grizzant00, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Grizzant00

Grizzant00 New Member

The Herald-Dispatch in Huntington, W.Va., has an opening for a copy editor working primarily with sports pages, 1-2 years experience required. Please send resume to editor@herald-dispatch.com or mail to Ed Dawson, executive editor, The Herald-Dispatch, 946 Fifth Ave., Huntington, W.Va., 25701.

Just wanted to let you know that this is an immediate opening and Mr. Dawson is looking to fill it ASAP. This newspaper's primary focus is on the Marshall Thundering Herd, a member of Conference USA, and there are also three main high schools in the immediate area, along with 20 others that get marginal coverage.

We also keep track of former area athletes such as 2006 Cy Young Award winner Brandon Webb, N.Y. Jets quarterback Chad Pennington, New England Patriots wide receivers Randy Moss and Troy Brown, USC freshman basketball standout O.J. Mayo and Univ. of Kentucky freshman standout Patrick Patterson.

If you are looking to move and you are looking for a place that will not break your bank, Huntington is a good fit. The population is older, yet while Marshall is in school this is predominantly a college town that thrives around Marshall sports. Located right on the Ohio River and within three hours of Columbus, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Lexington (Ky.), Louisville (Ky.) and Blacksburg (Va.) for any Hokie fans.

2. WSKY

WSKY Member

What about white chocolate?

3. Grizzant00

Grizzant00 New Member

LMAO, He's from Charleston so that's more the Daily Mail and Gazette's problem once/if they get over the whole RichRod defection.

On a personal note, I don't know if I can ever give a nickname of "White Chocolate" to a guy whose middle name is Chandler -- even if he does have sweet handles (no pun intended).

GDT

4. Mr. Homer

Mr. Homer Member

That is a pretty good answer

5. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

But he and Moss went to high school together right? So they could cover both. We're talking about Jason Williams right>

But first, let's talk about the gloriousness that is Huntington.

6. ArmanTamzarian

ArmanTamzarian New Member

Moss went to Marshall, which is why they mentioned him. Jason also went to Marshall, but then followed Donovan to Florida, so I guess they don't count him. I think he only played one year at MU.

7. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I grew up reading this paper. I've got a bunch of family in its circulation area, and they insist it's a lower-quality paper now than in years past. I've not read it since I moved away a decade ago, so I don't really know that for a fact.

I know Gannett owned it and sold it, but I don't know to whom.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

28k circ?

9. It's not a bad paper.
    It's now owned by Champion, the same company who owns Chapman Printing. I'm sure there will be some changes, but the paper - including it's sports staff - is pretty good. Some of really good characters too - Dave Walsh and the legnedary Ernie Salvatore.
    They go a lot of good things with their website as far as prep sports. They are probably the internet leader in W.Va prep sports scene.
    Huntington sits in the corner of W.Va, on the Ohio River, right next door to Kentucky.
    The Dispatch does a ton of coverage for Marshall football game day coverage. They last few openings on JJ.com have offered $30-$35K for a reporter with 3-5 years experience.
    Having said that:
    Huntington is a nice sports town, but I wouldn't want to live there.
    It is a violent-ass town that experiences more than its fair share of crime and violence.
    There are a lot - A LOT - of hot chicks!

PS: How 'bout some love for Ahmad Bradshaw?

10. Grizzant00

Grizzant00 New Member

I currently work for the paper with Walsh and those guys after moving over from the Ashland (Ky.) Daily Independent last year.

I have lived in the area my entire life (24 years) and can say some things to enlighten you all to the area and the paper's happenings.

First off, being sold by Gannett was the best thing to happen because it came at a time when Gannett was shredding jobs left and right. After GateHouse bought and promptly sold the paper to Champion Industries, several folks were worried about the stability of the company, but the move to Champion is great.

The paper is now locally owned by a guy who loves sports and especially sports in the area we cover. It is an exciting time to be involved with sports at the H-D.

As for the town, the violence has steadily increased over the past 3-5 years, but it is mainly confined to two specific areas of the town. Where Huntington is a river town, it is fairly spread out so if you avoid those areas, it is pretty nice to live in. The people here are also great and they know their sports which makes it even more fun to work in this area.

Oh yeah, the female scene is pretty nice too...I was lucky enough to find the best one around and she became the mother of my little girl.

BTW, after having class with Ahmad I am more than happy to see him succeeding at the next level. I also find it humorous that he grew up a HUUUUUGE Cowboys fan...he and I had some fun banter back and forth during the Monday night Sport Law class.

GDT

Draft saved Draft deleted