1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports copy editor, Stars & Stripes

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by wicked, Jul 6, 2010.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

But the description says 35-50.

And apparently, the USA Jobs ad says it's a GS-4 position, which would be 30-39.

Who knows?

2. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

Yeah, but that's the case with a lot of fairly low-level jobs. You're just not going to be able to afford to live in the city. Deal with it, or don't take the job. You shouldn't drive. Go find a place west of Falls Church or down toward Alexandria on the Virginia side, or you can go as far north as Bethesda or Silver Spring on the Maryland side. You can take the Metro every day right into the city. Might be an hour ride, depending upon how far out you go, but you avoid traffic, save money and work in a cool city.

That certainly won't be enough for some people, but my experience there tells me you can make $35K work, if that's what you've gotta do.

3. Furry Tractor

Furry Tractor Member

Here's a question -- does their sports desk work the usual sports desk hours or is it different b/c of their European and Pacific editions? (I think the DC office does the sports pages for those papers)

4. AllenCone

AllenCone New Member

I think the paper has earlier deadlines than most dailies because the pages are sent to print sites overseas.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

If this is an actual government job, be warned: The US government is corrupt. (Some of you may have already known this.)

6. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

If it's an ad on or from USA Jobs with a GS level, it's a government job. And GS4 is extremely low level, although it is in the system.

It's likely that S&S, like any other government department, also has contractors.

7. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

@ Furry Tractor and AllenCone ... when I interviewed there, the hours were essentially noon to 8 or 9. You're laying out pages for papers that are printing overseas. They have a few different editions. I don't remember what the deadline structure was like, but if you think about Europe being six hours ahead, 8 p.m. on the east coast is 2 a.m. there, and there has to be time for the paper to be printed and distributed. They didn't do any late nights there, but it's entirely possible things have changed since I interviewed.

8. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

Sounds like this would be an awesome gig, if I wasn't so entrenched where I was, and if the cost of living in D.C. wasn't like having to fork over the first, second and third born

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Not to mention the afterbirth.

10. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

This would be a cool job.
    Easy, easy, easy.

Draft saved Draft deleted