1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Copy Editor, Roanoke, VA

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boots, Apr 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boots

boots New Member

The Roanoke Times, a 97,000-circulation daily in the heart of ACC country, is looking for a creative and collaborative editor to join its 15-person sports department.

We want a wordsmith who is comfortable editing stories and designing pages on deadline, as well as sharing ideas on how to make our sports content — in print and online — appeal to both hardcore and casual sports fans.

Our section – named one of the best daily sections in the country by APSE for 2005 -- puts an emphasis on covering ACC sports, primarily Virginia Tech and the University of Virginia. We also place priority on covering prep sports as well as outdoor recreation and NASCAR. The Roanoke Valley, located in the mountains of Southwest Virginia, is also home to minor league hockey, baseball and basketball teams.

The ideal candidate must collaborate with reporters, photographers, graphic artists and online producers to tell stories and present information in compelling ways. Fresh, innovative thinkers encouraged.

Responsibilities include copy editing, writing headlines and cutlines, compiling round-ups and designing pages. Proficiency in InDesign and Photoshop is helpful, but not required. Night and weekend work required.

The Roanoke Times is owned by Landmark Communications, which also owns The Virginian Pilot, the Greensboro News & Record, The Weather Channel and dozens of other smaller dailies, weeklies and broadcast outlets. We work in a team environment offering excellent pay, health and dental insurance, 401(k), pension plan, life insurance, tuition reimbursement and outstanding growth opportunities within Landmark.

The Roanoke Times is an Equal Opportunity Employer.

Apply online, http://www.roanoke.com/job/wb/xp-index.

2. SEeditor

SEeditor Member

Who's leaving and where are they going?

3. SEeditor

SEeditor Member

Bump. Just trying to get info here.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Bump? It was like three threads down!

I do not know this - so someone correct me if I'm wrong. But I believe the new SE, Jeff Gilbert, was an inside hire. Hell, I know he was inside hire. What I do not know is if this is his former job.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Bump.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

It's posts like the one above that helped Ace move past me on the top 10 list. ;)

7. Hoo

Hoo Active Member

Not Gilbert's old job. He came most directly from newsside, though his original background was on the sports desk.

8. RoanokeTimes

RoanokeTimes New Member

In the interest of clearing things up, we now have three openings to fill this summer on our sports desk. One, I hope, is close to being filled. That position came open when one of our copy editors wanted to go news side. The second came when one of our designers/copy editors got the job to do A1 design, which is the job I vacated to come back to sports to be the editor in Feb. The newest opening was just created when one of our bright, young designers/editors was recruited to the Detroit News, which is close to home for him. So we need someone who primarily wants to edit copy and two folks who want to design and don't mind some editing shifts as well. We also have plenty of special pages/sections to produce.

So if you're interested, let me know. Or if you know of someone, let them know. The job(s) is posted on APSE.

Jeff Gilbert
    jeff.gilbert@roanoke.com

9. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Are any of these jobs still available?

10. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Wow. Really? It's been almost two-and-a-half years.

11. Is that a no?

12. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

So you're telling me there's a chance!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.