1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Copy Editor- Pittsburgh, PA

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Zads07

Zads07 Member

From jjobs.com
    http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1565680

Company: Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
    Position:
    Sports Copy Editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires:
    March 26, 2014
    Job ID: 1565680

Description:

The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review seeks a talented sports copy editor with solid word skills, an eye for creative design and the ability to work efficiently on multiple deadlines. The Tribune-Review sports staff covers five pro teams, five Division I universities, 100-plus high schools and much more. Our sports sections and website have won numerous APSE awards and – as Trib Total Media -- we deliver multimedia journalism in print, digital, video, social media, radio and TV. The Trib, circulation 200,000 and growing, is based in one of the few American cities with competing, independently owned newspapers. Applicants should have strong InDesign and InCopy skills and be able to work nights and weekends. At least three years' experience at a 50,000-plus circulation daily newspaper or editing center is preferred. Send cover letter, work samples and resume via email to: Richard “Duke” Maas, Deputy Managing Editor / Sports, rmaas@tribweb.com or mail to Duke Maas, Pittsburgh Tribune-Review Sports, 503 Martindale St. Pittsburgh, PA 15212.

Apply for this position by using the contact information above or by completing the online application below. Mention you saw this opening listed at JournalismJobs.com.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

This one always kills me. So if you're a kick-ass copy editor, but your paper's circulation is 49,999, they don't want you?

3. bmereness

bmereness Member

50,000 plus is <i>preferred</i> I'm sure they wouldn't care too much about 1 person, heck even a 25,000 copy editor probably would have a good shot.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

They probably would prefer a copy editor capable of reading, though.

5. Baron Scicluna

Why even bother saying you prefer 50,000 or more, except for trying to weed out some extra resumes? A good copy editor is a good copy editor, regardless of circulation.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

You answered your own question.

7. Baron Scicluna

Meanwhile, they may miss out on hiring somebody really good just because they don't want to leaf through some extra resumes.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

It's not a strict rule. I got an interview there and the SE seemed like a great guy.l

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

They're basically saying they want someone with a little more experience than the Hooterville World-Guardian.

I'm sure there are plenty of good candidates without a college degree, also. But most places require one. They're willing to streamline the process at the risk of never seeing a complete list of candidates.

10. Mike Szvetitz

Mike Szvetitz Member

Mark,
    Duke is the best. While it doesn't mean as much as Moddy's, working for Duke has my double-seal of approval.

Draft saved Draft deleted