1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

sports copy editor, Palmdale, CA

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boots, Dec 13, 2006.

1. boots

boots New Member

The Antelope Valley Press is seeking a candidate who can edit copy and design pages with flair for an APSE award-winning sports section that covers an aggressive mix of community sports and prep and also fields coverage for Dodgers, USC, UCLA and Lakers. This person works night slot and helps steer an eight-person sports staff. Some writing. Previous experience with InDesign and InCopy desirable. Illustrator, Photoshop experience a plus. Applicants should have college degree with Journalism, English, or similar background. Qualified applicants please send resume and clips with cover letter and salary history to Antelope Valley Press, P.O. Box 4050, Palmdale, CA 93590-4050, fax to (661) 267-4284, or e-mail to personnel@avpress.com.

2. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Paging Birdscribe. He knows the ins and outs and thensome of this shop.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Covered a playoff football game in Palmdale one night, Long Beach Wilson at Quartz Hill. QH won.

4. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Rousted from a day of packing my house for a move to the aforementioned Quartz Hill...

This job will stay open for a long time.

They can get writers to come up here for the crappy pay because: 1) it's a writing gig, 2) it's a SoCal writing gig, and 3) as I've pointed out everytime something comes up here, you can cover some pretty good things and build up some nice clips.

But editing, design and slot work, which is what this job is? For the $11-12 an hour this probably pays? Most desk wizards can -- and will -- do better.

Although I will say the likes of Darrin Beene (Tacoma), Dan Dinsmore (Portland, ME) and Kevin Whaley (Atlanta) have all come out of this spot at this paper. If you're unencombered by such pesky elements as a family and a birth certificate that says you're north of 30, this is a good stepping stone.

And Songbird, when was this game? Mid 90s, I'm guessing, since QH hasn't done spit in football since about that time.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Maybe the early '90s after they beat the mighty Steelers in the infamous ineligible player fiasco.

6. Editude

Editude Active Member

We played a baseball game in the snow in Rosamond. Good times.

7. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Oooh, sorry. Incorrect, my mountainous friend.

That was Antelope Valley High in 1993. I wrote about that all week and covered the game.

8. MileHigh

Hmmm, maybe the thin air (and old age) are catching up to me because I remember talking with you many times that week and writing many stories as well. And the game was a big-time blowout too. (And the Steelers were screwed, of course.)

9. ogre

ogre Member

Word on the tumbleweed covered streets of Palmdale is that the SE will be leaving there soon. So, this may be open to make way for the ASE to move up a step and the dominoes follow from there. And yes, this will be the second SE to pack up shop in a calendar year.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

That game was 1989 or 1990. Wilson was the at-large bid from the Moore League. It was a good game, too. Quartz Hill was very good. Had a running back with 200 or so yards and maybe a QB who could gun it. But I seem to remember a punt return/TD being a turning point in the game. Ah, good ol' days of CIF playoff football.

11. MileHigh

As predicted ... the SE job is open

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=712428

12. paulbunyan

paulbunyan Guest

must be the worst paper (or perhaps worst place to live) in the world

Draft saved Draft deleted