1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Copy Editor, New York Post

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by tommyp, Mar 21, 2007.

1. tommyp

tommyp Member

From journalismjobs.com:

Company: New York Post/Sports Department
    Position: Seeking Sports Copy Editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires: April 25, 2007
    Job ID: 391903

Description:
    Major metropolitan daily in New York City is looking for a sports copy editor experienced in delivering sharp tabloid headlines and copy under deadline pressure.

Need aggressive, creative thinker who can enhance page presentation with bright words and graphic content. Layout and design skills a must.

E-mail resume to Sportsjob@nypost.com.

2. Overrated

Overrated Guest

At least this job won't involve any fact-checking.

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

God, I wish I could design or had experience at a tabloid. The NYP is my one must-read when I'm in that city.

Crap.

4. tommyp

tommyp Member

I would be in a dilemma for this job if I qualified, as I'm not sure I'd want my paychecks signed by Rupert Murdoch.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

He signed mine for six years. The thing is, they never bounce.

6. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i feel the same way about the man politically but i think taking this sort of job would be a no-brainer for me if i were a copy editor type. i don't think he'd have any influence whatsoever on my work and frankly, you can make similar arguments about the evil of many mega corporations, industries and people you might end up working for.

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I would work there just for the ability to replace any 's' in a headline with a $, regardless of how many times you want to do it.

I got an NYT a month or so ago, and there were more than 5-6 instances of that substitution in headlines in the paper.

8. chazp

chazp Active Member

Here's your chance to write headlines that can be read a block away!

9. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

FYI, salaries are generally low at the Post (considering the market). You might have a tough time getting offered as much as $50,000, which is dirt cheap in New York.

Friend of mine turned down offers of $42,000, $45,000 from Gallo a few years ago.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

On the bright side, he kept his sanity.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Dave Curtis, a fucking stud according to some, made the leap to a gig like this several years back, and his career's done well since then.

12. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

Yep, he ended up getting a better job.

As did I. I inquired about a similar job posting at the Post around the same time. I suppose everyone has heard about Greg Gallo; let's just say I didn't get a response for a month and was so put off by the tone I dropped it right there.

Draft saved Draft deleted