1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports copy editor, Marietta, Ga.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boots, Feb 26, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

Ellis, it doesn't matter what you buy. I speak the truth. I know both publications. You don't. What has been said about both publications is true. Have a great day.

2. boots

boots New Member

Buck, thank you. It's the ellis of the world that make people want to do strange things. Those who have been around know about the MDJ and the Trentonian. Those are not good places.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I, too, am an MDJ alumnus and I know people who work there now, and I'll second, third and fourth all those who say to run away from this at top speed. No, you won't be working for Bob Jelenic but you will be working for Otis Brumby, a racist psychotic with delusions of grandeur and no idea of what a newspaper is supposed to be. Pay is terrible and expectations are unrealistic, but that doesn't matter because they change every other week. There's a reason turnover is so high there. Once people realize what they've gotten themselves into, they get out as quickly as possible.

Other than that, it's a fucking dream job.

4. Let me clarify. I was in no way defending the MDJ, Otis Brumby or his views. I was simply pointing out that a kid was getting jumped on for expressing an honest inquiry by a person who admonished others for doing the same on a different job thread. I just don't care for hypocrisy, is all. Please, resume the MDJ bashing. Perhaps someone can even post the infamous Brumby column. :D

5. boots

boots New Member

Let me clarify. No one jumped on the youngster.

6. "Are you stupid" might be considered jumping on the youngster.

7. boots

boots New Member

If Money thinks I was jumping on him. I was not.

8. Money007

Money007 Guest

No harm done. I didn't mean to start another back-and-forth thread that is completely off topic. Basically, da man answered what I was wondering. And since his is first-hand knowledge, it has a bit more credence. I figured pay was going to be low. At my level, it is always low. I just wanted to know, other than that, what the specific negatives are. But I'm pretty sure that was answered.

And I can handle being called stupid. I'd be in the wrong business if I couldnt.

9. Money007

Money007 Guest

Thanks for the info, otherwise. Perhaps working at a weekly isn't so bad ... hmmm ...

10. mediaman44

mediaman44 New Member

Money, as a former MDJ sports department employee, I'll try to clue you in.

First off, if it's a step up in money, you really are not making much as it is. Among several other things, the MDJ is not known for paying it's employees anything near what they deserve or are worth. However, money is money, so if it's a step up, I guess that's a plus, but what you get tomorrow, there's a good chance you'd be receiving the same thing for the next couple of years. Also, it's not an official salary job. You'll clock in & out every day and while they'll jump your ass for getting overtime, you better believe that your job is going to require more than the 40 hours a week, so you do the math on that one.

The staff is a good one to work with. I do not know the sports editor, but I've heard good things about him. The others there have definately put in their time & know the coaches & the area, while the main copy editor knows his stuff. But it is an undersized sports staff for what needs to be covered, especially during this time of year... 3 full time MDJ writers & 1 Cherokee Tribune writer (the sports staffs are one in the same) covering a total of 24 high schools & 2 colleges. The Tribune has 3 pages a night & the MDJ runs around 7 or 8.

As the previous posts have noted, the real problems come from the top. While Brumby is not known for having much direct impact on the sports department, the attitude trickles down from the top. I actually give him more credit than some of the management for the fact that i've seen him acknowledge more of his everyday employees more in a single day than I've noticed the other higher ups do in a year. Overall, it's not a friendly atmosphere.

The area of coverage is among the best in the state when it comes to high schools. While the Cobb County takes it's lumps on the state football level, it more than makes up for it across the board. Baseball, basketball, softball, track, wrestling, tennis, golf & soccer state championships are known to come through the county & DI prospects are around every corner. Of the colleges, one, Kennesaw State, recently moved up to DI after having plenty of success on the DII & NAIA levels in past years.

All-in-all, if a little more $$ is what you are after, I guess there is a chance you could do worse. Plus, the daily experience would be beneficial. If you have the opportunity to accept the job, just go into with the idea that it's a brief stepping stone, keep an eye out for other opportunities & be ready to move on as soon as a chance to make another step up comes along.

But hell, who knows. You could end up being the one that loves it there, though I wouldn't suggest holding your breath.

11. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

I am a member of the "I got out alive" MDJ club. The day I left I felt like Steve McQueen in "Papillon."
    You will work your ass off. You will get to touch a lot of different stuff, from layout to writing to God knows what else.
    The pay is no great shakes, especially for a place like metro Atlanta, though I loved living there. The atmosphere is one of a constant guillotine or sword of Damocles waiting to fall.
    But, if you can endure for a while, sharpen your skills and toughen your skin, then my son, you will be a man. And you'll be ready to get the f$%^ out of Dodge.

12. boots

boots New Member

That's one reason why the paper doesn't go after people with experience. They fear that those people will rebel against their tactics.

Draft saved Draft deleted