1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

sports copy editor, Lawrence (Kan.) Journal-World

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Jeremy Goodwin, May 27, 2008.

1. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

I got this from a List-serve I'm on. I don't know where else it will be posted.

SPORTS COPY EDITOR

The Lawrence Journal-World, a fast-paced, web-first news organization, has an opening for a Sports Copy Editor experienced in pagination. Ideal candidate shows a flair for design, a strict attention to detail and an eagerness to stay involved in online projects for our websites, ljworld.com and kusports.com. Two years of sports print or on-line publication copy editing experience preferred.

We offer an excellent benefits package including health, dental, 401k, plus employee discounts on your Sunflower Broadband services and on your Journal-World subscription. Pre-employment drug screen and physical required.

To apply submit a cover letter, resume and samples of your work to hrapplications@ljworld.com.

2. Re: sports copy editor, Lawrence (Kan.) World-Journal

You might want to get the name of the paper right, boss.

3. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Re: sports copy editor, Lawrence (Kan.) World-Journal

Maybe he's an partial outsider weening out non-researchers?

Trying Jeremy.

4. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

Re: sports copy editor, Lawrence (Kan.) World-Journal

Thank, MU_.
    I'm just an idiot and didn't type it right. Oh well. I'll fix it.

5. TheCapital

TheCapital New Member

Imagine designing packages on Saturday for a second-place (maybe) team in the Big 12 North.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Well, we know there is no journalism talent at the nearby university... :D

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

This is certainly a solid paper in one of the best towns in America. But next year you might only be designing packages for football and basketball teams ranked in the top 15 or so, rather than the Orange Bowl and NCAA champs. ;D

8. Chef

Chef Active Member

Uh-oh.

9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I could post links about KU winning the Hearst awards the past two years, but I won't bother. ;D

10. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Great college town to live in with a nice musical nightlife. Plus, there's a place called Henry Ts that offers some of the biggest wings you'll find anywhere

11. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

The sports editor there, Tom Keegan, is a great guy.

Gotten to know him a little bit over the years, and he's definitely someone you'd want to work for.

12. rascalface

rascalface Member

Anybody else find it odd that a pre-employment physical is required?

Turn your head and cough. OK, you're hired!

Draft saved Draft deleted