1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports copy editor, Florence, S.C.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by MNSportsEditor, Mar 19, 2007.

1. MNSportsEditor

MNSportsEditor New Member

The Morning News in Florence, S.C., is looking for a copy editor/designer to join our sports staff of six full-timers and two part-timers.

This person will do slot or page help 4-5 nights a week along with another full-time staffer. Our two part-time staffers handle the agate page and take call-ins Monday through Friday.

While the job is primarily desk work, three people handling pages most nights allows for ample time to write.

If hired, you'll join a very personable, veteran staff with a lot on its plate. We have 40-plus high schools, two Division II colleges and a junior college in our circulation area. We also heavily staff the Darlington race in May, cover a Southern Professional Hockey League team, a Coastal Plain League baseball team, an American Indoor Football Association team, and spot cover Clemson, South Carolina, Coastal Carolina and South Carolina State.

The Morning News is a 40,000 a.m. daily. We're owned by Media General, which offers a competitive salary and excellent benefit package relative to the industry and our circulation size.

Resumes, page designs and writing samples should be mailed to:

Sam Bundy, Sports Editor
    Morning News
    310 South Dargan Street
    Florence, S.C. 29501

Resumes, page designs as PDFs and writing samples can also be e-mailed to:

sbundy@florencenews.com

2. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

Hey Sam, who's leaving?

3. MNSportsEditor

Gabe Cornwall, who has done a solid job for us the past three years, is leaving. Gabe has done primarily desk work for us, but has also covered our SPHL hockey team and our Coastal Plain League baseball team. His knowledge of hockey will certainly be missed.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Third verse, same as the first. If anyone has any questions about the company, PM me. I have some (limited) knowledge of this paper, too, but I'd rather not speak of it in public. Not because I have bad things to say or anything, but just because.

5. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Where is Gabe going?

6. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

The Morning News is a decent little paper in S.C., but it's an MG paper. What does that mean? Not enough bodies in the department and underpaid ones, at that. Sam's a good guy, as are most of the folks at the FMDN. They cover A TON of stuff at that paper, and because they have such a small staff, it's hard for them to do a good job with it. There's only so much you can do with the resources. Just look at what they cover ... 40 high schools, two D-2 schools, a wooden bat baseball league, minor league hockey, an arena football team and spot cover four other universities. And they do it with six full-time people.

Any other info, feel free to PM.

7. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Not enough bodies in the department? I think that's true in any newsroom.

8. MNSportsEditor

Folks,

I have finally been given the OK to make a hire on this. If you sent a resume and clips when I first posted the opening and are still interested in the position, shoot me an e-mail and let me know. If you haven't sent me a resume and clips but are interested in the position, please e-mail a resume, clips and a couple page designs as PDFs to: sbundy@florencenews.com. At this point, e-mail is preferable as I'm looking to move quickly on this.

We have an in-house candidate, but I will certainly consider someone from the outside.

Sam Bundy
    Sports Editor
    Morning News

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Gabe is good people, by the way. Glad to hear you had this unfrozen, Sam.

Draft saved Draft deleted