1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports copy editor/designer, Tacoma News Tribune

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by luckyducky, Jun 15, 2006.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

left - quite possibly the best post of the day. still recovering from the laughter pains it caused.

thanks for taking it down a notch.

2. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Fair 'nuff.

3. joe king

joe king Active Member

Expect this one to be filled internally. And soon.

4. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Did they bring in anyone for interviews?

5. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

This one get filled?

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

young up-and-comer ... david brame.

7. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Thomas:

On a shithole scale of 10, with 1 being the average night at the Lomax residence the most well-manicured suburb you ever did see and 10 being the Mill Valley of "Back To The Future 2", just how would Tacoma rank?

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

dye - to be fare to lester and the crew, the tacoma i remember is through about 2003, but i have been back to the fine city at least once a year since. on the shithole scale i'd rank it a solid 7, only because i've been unfortunate enough to find my sorry ass in places such as south central la and compton ... and a few fucked up locals i stumbled upon in baltimore and jersey.

but, with that said, and totally discounting how i think the paper handled the brame case, i believe the trib is a helluva paper, although it used to be better. i'd never live in tacoma, but i sure would drive to work from gig harbor, port orchard or lacey with an emphasis on the first two. if a person worked shitty enough hours, I-5 wouldn't be a total fucking nightmare driving in.

9. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Yep. Filled with an in-house person.

10. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

Tacoma gave us Earl Anthony. That's gotta count for something.

11. POKES

POKES New Member

This job may already be filled, but Tacoma still needs defending. I lived there for a few years in the late eighties, and there are parts of it that were wonderful even then; the whole North End is filled with beautiful old houses on tree-lined streets, and real estate is a fraction of what you'll pay in Seattle. There are a couple of new very hip loft condo developments on the waterfront downtown perched nearly on top of the Chihuly museum.

You could also live in calm, rural Gig Harbor, requiring about a 15-minute commute to the TNT (at least it was 15 minutes back then) across the Tacoma Narrows Bridge, or live on Vashon island and commute via ferry. Or settle slightly north in little shore towns like Brown's Point and still be easily within a 30-minute commute.

If you snowboard, Snowqualmie is about a 40-minute drive - plenty of time to hit before your evening shift begins. Snoqualmie in the summer is also good for rock climbing, hiking and mountain biking. If you like water sports (particularly ocean kayaking), you will be in heaven. And, of course, Mount Rainier is an easy day trip. If you are from east of the Rockies and think you have seen, been near or have any concept of a mountain, Rainier will completely blow your mind. Further North, the San Juan Islands or B.C., will have a similar affect.

The music and bar scene in Tacoma is great (don't miss the coffee-pot shaped Java Jive bar, not far from the TNT, or Enginehouse 9, a restored firehouse) or any of the student haunts from nearby University of Puget Sound and Pacific Lutheran University.

The downtown is on the upswing and has many cool places to eat, shop and just hang out. Or, keep walking and you'll find an eternally long walk/bike/blade path along the water that goes all the way to Point Defiance Park and passes many a good restaurant along the way.

Of course, like all cities, there are crappy areas. Just don't go there at night. Don't go to Hilltop, ever. South Tacoma pretty much sucks, and the drive South continues to suck pretty much until you get to Olympia.

As for the TNT, it's a beautiful and smart paper whose circulation has actually been rising the past few years. The building is fairly new and VERY nice (although the location itself isn't that great, other than being handily near major highways). The people there are talented and nice.

Another fun Tacoma fact: the largest Octopi in the world, the Pacific Octopus, live under the Tacoma Narrows Bridge. So, after you come in from a morning of sea kayaking followed by a lunch of fresh smoked salmon on your deck in Gig Harbor, you can cross the bridge on your way to work while fantasizing about a gigantic tentacle creeping its way up a bridge strut underneath your car, then sliding unnoticed back into those deep black waters. Ah, heaven.

12. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Kudos, Pokes.

Another opening may be upcoming in the next couple weeks...any designers out there?

Draft saved Draft deleted