1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Copy Editor / Designer, Omaha, Nebraska

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by sgaleadfoot, Jul 26, 2006.

1. sgaleadfoot

sgaleadfoot Member

SPORTS COPY EDITOR/DESIGNER -- The Omaha World-Herald is looking for an experienced copy editor to join its award-winning Sports Desk. We're seeking an editor with at least 3 to 5 years of daily newspaper experience to help edit and present the region's best coverage of Nebraska football, Creighton basketball, and the College World-Series. Proven design ability is a plus. Please email a cover letter, resume and work samples to: jcarney@owh.com. Applications can also be mailed to Jeff Carney, AME Recruiting, 14th & Dodge Streets, Omaha NE 68102. Deadline for applications is Aug. 14.

On an old lonesome highway, east of Omaha....

2. Omahaaaaa, somewhere in middle America - I think youd better turn your ticket in/And leave your money right at the door

3. jcrutchmer

jcrutchmer Guest

Feel free to PM me or e-mail me (josh.crutchmer@owh.com) for more information.

Wasn't there also an old Waylon Jennings song called "Omaha" or something like that?

4. Omaha styleeee, y'all! (311)

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

You should have stopped whilst you were ahead ...

6. Why? I'm a roll now:

Oh Omaha,
    you never looked so good.

I am leaving.
    I'm sailing away.
    My time in Iowa was just a holiday.
    I've gotta get back over that bridge
    to the town were I live-
    I guess that's where I'll stay.
    Omaha

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Good god, I hope Galveston doesn't have an opening any time soon.

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I was thinking Lubbock. We'll be breaking out in a chorus of Mac Davis...

(For those of you not into 1980s country, the reference is "Happiness is Lubbock in my rearview mirror". ;D)

9. jcrutchmer

jcrutchmer Guest

And later revived and paraphrased as a mid-90s quote around ESPN Plaza, according to the book.

10. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

And following to the book, afterwards, to make revive around the open space of ESPN as a quotation of center 90s, the paraphrase being done.

11. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

I don't know the current situation but I've heard good things about the sports operation there (the good words were from a few years ago).

12. jcrutchmer

jcrutchmer Guest

Oggiedoggie: Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

For non-Newsradio fans, or non-former colleagues of mine in OKC, the above post is an homage to the time-honored tradition of using Altavista's online translation software to translate things into Japanese and back into English. Just take your favorite columnist and run his or her latest through such a translation. It's hours of fun for the whole family. An Oggiedoggie suspect list is being compiled.

Oh, also, and I believe this is the first time this has been mentioned on this thread, there's a sports designer/copy editor opening at the Omaha World-Herald, the employee-owned, 280,000-circulation daily in Omaha, Nebraska.

We have a brand-new sports editor, Thad Livingston, a brand new deputy sports editor, and we're moving into a brand-new office building this fall. We have Nebraska football and the College World Series. We have a metro area of one million, and we have Warren Buffett. We give designers time to plan and copy editors time to be editors. (We also have giant red mastheads, but unlike Herpes and much like love, they are not forever.) Interested applicants should contact AME/Recruiting Jeff Carney at jeff.carney@owh.com, or me via PM or e-mail at josh.crutchmer@owh.com.

Draft saved Draft deleted