1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports copy editor, Biloxi Sun Herald

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Miles O'Toole, Sep 22, 2006.

1. Miles O'Toole

Miles O'Toole Member

Company: The Sun Herald
    Position: Sports Copy Editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires: October 27, 2006
    Job ID: 683916

Description:
    SPORTS COPY EDITOR
    A Pulitzer prize winning daily in an exciting sports market is looking for a sports copy editor. We cover top prep teams in South Mississippi; cover Southern Miss, Ole Miss., Miss. State, LSU, and the SEC; the Saints football, outdoors and recreational sports. This position is responsible for the final check of each element on the sports pages, particularly headlines, captions and other display type. This person works with the Sports Editor to put together a budget for weekend papers. He/She edits local and wire copy for sections and handles customer service questions that arise over the weekend in the Sports Editor’s absence. Must have a Bachelors Degree and at least one-year experience managing a desk. At least three years of newspaper experience preferred, especially on Sports desk. To apply, send resumes to ATTN: Sports Copy Editor at the Sun Herald, P.O. Box 4567, Biloxi, MS 39535 or whowell@sunherald.com.

2. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

There are some fine SportsJournalists.commers that work at The Sun Herald. And you'll get to work with "The Captain" Doug Barber. Of course, you'll have to edit copy from Ole Miss and Mississippi State football games...but at least you don't have to watch 'em.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Mmm ... Biloxi.

I visited this summer and it's bouncing back a lot stronger than a lot of other places on the coast.

4. Hed bust

Hed bust Guest

This is a job I'd apply for if I was living in the U.S.
    Really good paper, and fun place to live.
    Good people work at the Sun Herald.
    And yes, Barber is a longtime vet there who was elevated prior to Katrina to editor.
    He knows the pulse of that region and he plays the role of top dog nicely there.
    Does a lot of writing, and can pick outcomes of games very accurately.
    (Vegas is his kind of town.)
    A great guy.

5. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Hed Bust--what country DO you live in? And why?

6. Hed bust

Hed bust Guest

Germany.
    I am a Public Affairs Officer at a large military hospital.
    My past jobs have included dealings with the Sun Herald.
    I am an 18-year reporter of both sports and news, so this new gig is pretty slow at times.
    It has its moments, for sure though.
    Where do you work, Clutch?

7. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Friend of mine works there and he/she loves it. Like every place, it has its areas that need improvment but on the whole, he/she enjoys the environment.

8. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Wow. A copy editing position that requires its owner to edit copy. Wonders never cease. I was tiring of "copy editor" positions that required knowledge of Photoshop, Illustrator, Quark, et al.

9. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

I obviously have some knowledge of the situation. If anybody has any questions, feel free to PM me or zap me an e-mail. You can find my address with any reasonable Google search.

Don Hammack

10. scalper

scalper Member

Draft saved Draft deleted