1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports copy editor, Austin American-Statesman

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Basil Exposition, Jan 20, 2007.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

As far as working in college towns, to echo what everyone else has already said, there probably aren't many better places to be.

2. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

Yeah, try telling the Longhorns what a homer Kirk Bohls is and let us know the reaction you get. ::)

3. zman82

zman82 Member

thanks for the heads up basil. being a former austin resident dying to get back, i'm all over it. and by the way, being a former austinite i can say that many a longhorn fan hates bohls.

4. brettwatson

brettwatson Active Member

Most papers in college towns are viewed as homers. Goes with the territorry. Statesman is at the top of the list (in my view) of being able to produce quality journalism, maintain their journalistic integrity and still be able to communicate with the UT movers and shakers.

Most other papers in college towns are well below the Statesman in this area.

And I have never worked for the Statesman.

5. lurking

lurking New Member

Any news on this one?

6. boots

boots New Member

No and don't expect anything any time soon. June could be a good time the position MAY be filled according to what I've been told.

7. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Wow, the Statesman, a daily in the capital of an powerful, populous state does a more professional job of covering the local university's sports than most small-town college papers. And they have a writer who's critical sometimes. I stand corrected...indeed, I bow to the Statesman, that paragon of sports sections.

8. zman82

zman82 Member

so the phone should start ringing in april, right?

9. boots

boots New Member

Don't be surprised if it rings later. And if the economy takes that dreaded mid-year dip, it won't ring at all.

10. zman82

zman82 Member

as if my paycheck didn't already do it, thanks for bringing me down a bit more boots.

11. boots

boots New Member

Hey, that's what friends are for.

Draft saved Draft deleted