1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports copy editor, Austin American-Statesman

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Basil Exposition, Jan 20, 2007.

1. Basil Exposition

Basil Exposition New Member

This one is for you, zman82 (from poynter.org):

Description: The Austin American-Statesman is looking for a sports copy editor to edit content on deadline for the newspaper, its website and publishing partners to ensure that the sports report is accurate, timely, balanced, comprehensive, fair and without bias. Writes headlines, cutlines and typographical elements such as lift-out quotes, labels, refers and teases. Proofs pages for accurancy. Works night and weekend shifts. US Residents Only. Employer will assist with relocation costs

Requirements: College degree and three to five years daily newspaper experience. Must have demonstrable word editing and headline writing skills. Must pass copy editing test. Should understand the fundamentals and ethics of journalism, have a good eye for sports news and features stories. Should be curious, open to varying points of view, observant, persistent, quick, accurate and balanced. Should be able to think visually.

Salary: $44,000 - $49,000.

To apply for the job, supposedly you have to log on at the Poynter Career Center (gack), but I've got to think that a packet mailed directly to John Bridges would get consideration, too.

2. boots

boots New Member

Not that this is needed but this gig gets the boots seal of approval. John is a good guy to work for and you will learn.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I loves me some Austin.

4. brettwatson

brettwatson Active Member

Austin: outstanding place to live.

Salary: A person can exist on that wage in Austin, maybe not flourish, but pay rent, drink cold beer and enjoy the night life.

5. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

Except the night life will usually consist of editing stories in the newsroom.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Afterward you can still find some action on sixth street, if your boss will allow that.

7. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Also remember ... no state tax.

8. WSKY

WSKY Member

What? Is that where the hookers?

9. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

No, it's where you'll find lots of shitty, overpriced bars. Austin's great, but in spite of, not because of, Sixth Street. Granted, there are a few decent establishments on Sixth and in the immediate environs (Lovejoy's comes to mind), but overall, it's Frat Hell.

Whores are on far South Congress, if that's your thing. :(

But if you work for the Statesman, you'll be the one doing the fellating...of the Longhorns, that is. :)

10. Editude

Editude Active Member

The Warehouse District has a nicer vibe with a lot of good places to eat and drink.

11. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

West 4th = 6th Street for grown-ups.

I haven't lived in Austin for a while, but I'd be curious as to what the Statesman's current image is with the locals. Austin's a very literate city that's historically been quite critical of "The Real Estatesman," as the paper's sometimes called. People usually rely on the smart-alecky weekly paper for coverage of city and county issues as, sadly, The Austin Chronicle does a better job...even though the Chronicle has an editorial tone of unbridled narcissism that approaches unintentional self-parody at times. Then again, Austin as a city has a tone of unbridled narcissism that approaches self-parody at times. Still a great town, though. I bet there were some sad faces at the Shoal Creek Saloon last night (Saints reference).

12. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

An ex who, as the song goes, lives in Texas says the University Daily owns the Statesman on UT matters, though mostly outside of sports. She read the Statesman during a recent stint there but did pick up the UD and Chronicle to fill in the Statesman's holes.

Draft saved Draft deleted