1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports copy editor, Altoona (Pa.) Mirror

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Sean Smyth, Aug 10, 2007.

1. Sean Smyth

Sean Smyth Member

Courtesy of www.journalismjobs.com:

For purposes of full disclosure: I worked here for one year as a news copy editor. Buck's a great guy. If I could've worked for him while I was there, I would've, in a heartbeat. (Not to disparage my old boss, of course.)

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Buck Frank is a great guy, and I've dealt with him many times. Altoona is the golden boy in the Pennsylvania Ogden chain, so this job isn't too shabby.

3. Wonderlic

Wonderlic Member

Rumor always had it that the dude who designed the building was fired (executed?) for going so far over budget. That newsroom is a palace.

They put out a good product, but it's unfortunate that this paper is owned by Ogden. Buncha bean counters. If you get this job, you'll basically be working on equipment handed down from the local middle school.

And yes, Buck is a good guy. Knew him before he took over as SE, but haven't been out to the Castle on Cayuga since.

4. toivo99

toivo99 Member

I will second this. At a recent stop with this company, the nearly decade-old computers couldn't even handle getting prep schedules online. And the presses couldn't line up color — no white type on colored background allowed.

5. Sean Smyth

Sean Smyth Member

The building was built by Thomson, before it sold the paper to Ogden in 1998.

The newsroom is stellar, cubicles (I hate them! At least these are low-rise) and all.

And Wonderlic, while there are bean-counters there (as everywhere), the bean-counters still make sure that you get the support needed to put out a good product. Yes, you will get paid below-industry wages, but they won't sit on a job for six months, either. In this day and age, that matters quite a bit. Even if the computers crash twice per night.

They are starting to lose some talent, including possibly their two top news reporters. Maybe that'll force them to boost salaries a tad.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Nothing will make Ogden part with more cash. Nothing.

Draft saved Draft deleted