1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports copy editor, Allentown (Pa.), The Morning Call

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by wickedwritah, Aug 21, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

From jjobs.com.

Company: The Morning Call
    Position:
    Copy editor, sports
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires:
    September 25, 2007
    Job ID: 655163

Description:

Is it first-and-10 or 1st and 10? Pat Burrell or Pat Burell? Andre Iguadalla or Andre Iguodala? If you can answer those questions, if you study box scores -- and the AP Stylebook -- there might be a place for you on our night sports copy desk. We need an all-around performer - a sharp copy editor who can write headlines, paginate pages, handle agate and everything else it takes to help publish a quality daily sports section. We're located in eastern Pennsylvania, an hour north of Philadelphia and about two hours west of New York City. We cover Philadelphia pro teams, Penn State football, seven local colleges, several dozen high schools and we have a new Triple-A minor league team coming to town in 2008. Three to five years’ experience on a newspaper copy desk is preferred, but newspaper copy desk internships will be taken into consideration.

Send cover letter, resume and samples of your work to Ron Stumpf, Chief of copy desks/CN, The Morning Call, 101 N. Sixth St., Allentown, Pa. 18105

2. Keystone

Keystone Member

Lots of good people at this place. It's rare when the Morning Call has an opening.

3. Editude

Editude Active Member

I hope the job would be more interesting than the 1st vs. first non-debate in the ad. That type of fake "test" is one reason people think so little of copy editors.

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I second Keystone. GREAT paper for the area, great access to both New York and Philly. Now if only a damn writing position would open up... lol

5. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

It's also one reason why copy editors think so little of some beat writers. But yeah, the add is a tad over the top. How big is the desk there?

6. Colton

Colton Active Member

I've seen this paper. Quality.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Allentown's also had buyouts/layoffs in recent years, IIRC, thanks to Tribune. For what it's worth ....

8. lohengrin

lohengrin Member

There is the buyout/layoff thing, but there are some real pros at this newspaper. And I've honestly never met anybody from this paper I didn't like. In fact, one person there (in news) is probably one of my favorite people in the business. The area has its ups and downs, but it's so close to Philly and NYC, you can almost feel it. It used to be the kind of place at which you stayed if you got a job there, as people such as John Kunda spent years writing and working in sports there. I don't know if there are too many places like that now.

9. boots

boots New Member

Allentown is what it is. Allentown. It's not Philly. It's not New York. It's Allentown.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Larry O'Rourke, one of their best writers, is one of the finest guys I've met in this business.

11. mocheeks10

mocheeks10 Member

Thanks for stopping by, Larry! (Kidding. Larry is a good dude.)

12. boots

boots New Member

Larry is great people.

Draft saved Draft deleted