1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Business Journal?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by scribebaseball, Nov 27, 2006.

1. I know it's pricey, but I was wondering what everyone's opinion was of SBJ? I often feel like I want to be even more plugged into the behind-the-scenes stuff, not just the on-the-field happenings in the sports world. I think a great sports writer should be adept at both.

But nearly $300? That seems like a lot. Is the magazine really full of info every week? The Web site updated? I've never seen a copy, but if it's worth it, I wouldn't mind rewarding myself with a year's subscription if I save for a few weeks, if you guys think it might be worthwhile.

2. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Love it, love it, love it. My company has a subscription and I'm lucky enough to have access to the thrice-daily updated Web site for subscribers only. Some is general sponsorship fluff, but there's a good helping of media- and broadcasting-related news to make it worthwhile.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Been a while since I've seen it, but at one of my old gigs we got it every week. I read it cover to cover. It's pretty good. Lots of arcane info and sometimes the writing was a bit bland, but it was definitely informative and a big help in understanding the issues that really make the sports world go round.

That said, $300 is a chunk of change. Maybe you can go in on it with someone? Or ask for it for a gift?

4. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

i got a month-long trial subscription once and loved it. but not $300 loved it

5. Very informative read. Lucky enough to get a copy each week at the non-profit rate (around 175) through National Sports Preservation Foundation, sponsor of the SportsJournalists.com Money League.

A friend poo-poos it, saying it is sports info for the "beautiful people" though. Don't listen to him. I have always thought of it as the Wall Street Journal of sports.

See if you can get it through work, or at least a copy from a friend. Try to talk your company into springing for the subcription. I always save mine to pass along to others. Maybe your company could go halves if they won't spring for the whole thing the first year.

If nothing else, the subcription price should be deductible from your taxes, saving you some there on the back end.

Draft saved Draft deleted