1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports burnout: Do you ever get tired of sports?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mustangj17, Mar 19, 2009.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I grew up rooting for the Mets of the late '80s and early '90s. The Mets had them all.

2. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

But did you know that at the time?

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I knew of the rape accusations, but didn't know what rape was. I didn't learn that until three or four years ago.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I don't think it's just age. I think Tomas and I are about the same age (I'm 36) and I love sports as much as ever. That goes for watching and talking about sports. Ok, fantasy baseball has replaced the Pirates as my main rooting interest in baseball, but that's not about age. That change happened when I was in my early 20s.

I hadn't been to a baseball game in a while until I attended a game in Cincinnatti last August. I had forgotten how much I love just watching a game and bullshitting with the people around me. That, and I got to see Albert Pujols blast a couple of homers.

5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Buck: Regarding your point about others in the newsroom/copy desk who know absolutely NOTHING about sports.

I recall back when I worked in northern Michigan, I made a reference to the "Get Up" slogan the Detroit Red Wings had at the time.

First, she claimed ignorance of the Red Wings ???

Then, when I told her about the "Detroit Rock City" song the slogan came from, she claimed ignorance of both the song and KISS.

Man ... if you don't know about KISS, you got no business being on the copy desk!

You wanted the best ... you got 'em:

[​IMG]

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

That's why one picks better favorites. ;) :)

My interest in sports has never waned. Given my current situation, thank goodness. It's escapism now as much as it was early in grade school when I watched it at all levels.

That enthusiasm hasn't waned at all. It's annoying when some people who have no idea what you did for the last 10 years tries to talk the talk like you're the biggest idiot on Earth, but anyway ...

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you know, AB, it's difficult to explain.

i've also found that i can't cheer, or clap or even get excited for that matter. i don't know if it's because i've witnessed one too many fanfuckingboi idiots through the years, if i spent too many games not giving a professional shit who won or lost, or if i just lost the passion completely.

all i know is the last time i actually was excited about a game is when the bucs kicked the shit out of my raiders in the SB, which makes me reconsider how many years ago i ordered that NFL season ticket TV package.

and i did turn it to the UCLA game tonight ... during a commercial of a simpsons rerun.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

In the stands, I spend more time complaining about the people complaining about the umpires. When a car is obviously and indisputably right, sit down and shut up.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Oh, well, if we're talking about that, I lost my cheering around the age of 16. By that time, I'd learned no cheering in the press box, and I took it to heart.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'd still like to go to, say, my alma mater's FB homecoming and, you know, maybe clap and say "yay."

sorry, can't do it.

11. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

[​IMG]

This car is obviously and indisputably right.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Yeah, Barry Bonds wasn't the best guy to idolize growing up.

Draft saved Draft deleted