1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports burnout: Do you ever get tired of sports?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mustangj17, Mar 19, 2009.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

After working with sports for a long time and sifting through threads all day about brackets, and Super Bowl predictions, does anyone else hate it when their friends inquire about sports?

Honestly, I don't care who my buddies have on their fantasy football team, who they have in their Final Four, or what they think about the Super Bowl. I just don't care. I don't want to know their reasoning about which team will lose in the first round to a 12 seed, I don't want to talk about Mehmet Okur and game winning three pointers.

I just don't care anymore. I don't want to discuss the NFL Draft.

I can't be the only one.

2. Re: Does anyone else get sick of discussing sports?

I think the Lions would be crazy to take Stafford No. 1. There's no way he's ready and they have other needs.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Re: Does anyone else get sick of discussing sports?

Yes, yes, yes. A million times yes.

The most maddening is the question: "Did you watch the game last night?"

Which game? Was there only one? I haven't checked the digest yet, but I assumed there were many. Do you mean the England v. West Indies debacle of a test cricket match? Because I caught a little bit of that before I came in this morning. Otherwise? No. I did not watch the game. Did you examine circulation figures on your laptop after supper last night?

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I still can't believe Maryland got into the NCAA Tournament without beating Duke in the ACC semifinals. Their record against the AP Top 50 was dismal and they had horrendous losses to Morgan State and Virginia.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

That's just it though, on this board, I value people's opinions. I get a diverse group of writers from different areas that see things differently. I may get to hear from a Georgia fan, or a beat writer, or a 20 year NFL beat reporter. Outside of this, I just get my dumb drunk friend telling me he doesn't think Stafford will be good because of something he saw it on a BLOG!

6. I Digress

I Digress Guest

I've always loved that my husband is not a sports fan... but you know, after 10 years, it would be nice if he'd watch a game with me every once in a while.....

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

To be honest, I don't get sick of talking sports, even with the supposedly uninformed masses. My love of sports is one reason I wanted to get into sportswriting to begin with.

That said, when I was 14 and I first dove headlong into being a sports fan, sports was one of the few topics I would discuss at great length. When I got older, it was sports and music.

I'd like to think I can now talk about any number of other things including politics or technology or food or other subjects that are as far away from the field of play as you can get. I'd like to think that I could search for and find the stories behind the gladiators who do battle night in and night out. I'd like to think that I've become an observer of the human condition after covering news stories including a murder trial, Godless County government furloughs and the like.

I still love talking about sports, even to those who aren't in this field. But there's a lot more I can talk about that has nothing to do with last night's game.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Sounds like you spend too much time on this site. Either that, or you just value the opinions of people on here than you do your friends outside the site.

Personally, I'd rather talk sports with my friends outside this site, but I still enjoy posting/reading here, too.

To your overall point, though....I was a little like you when I was in the biz. Since I've been out, I've enjoyed sports much more because I don't talk about it all day, every day.

9. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Did you see SportsCenter last night?

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I'm with you. I essentially stopped watching games at home because it was a constant bombardment otherwise. Same with news.

Since I've left the business, though, my enjoyment of news and sports has increased, and I still am fortunate enough to be able to write occasional stories for the local rag without feeling burned out.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  11. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Heck, I'd rather talk sports. That way I can come off sounding at least somewhat intelligent. Otherwise, who knows what's going to come flying out of my mouth.

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Never heard of it.

Draft saved Draft deleted