1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Book Publishers

Discussion in 'Writers' Workshop' started by Fire Marshall Bill, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Fire Marshall Bill

Fire Marshall Bill New Member

Anyone know of a publishing house that specializes in (or at least publishes many) sports books?

I ended up self-publishing my first book after my literary agent left the business. I have an idea for another one and a few interviews lined up that might attract a publisher. But, I was hoping to speed up the process by targeting a few places that are sports-centric.

Thanks in advance. And best of luck to all the other authors out there.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Not sure what type of "sports book" you're looking to publish, so you'll have to do your own research as to which company might be the best fit for yours. (And self-publishing, in this day and age, might actually be the best fit.)

But here's a pretty good list of companies that have published a number of sports (baseball) books recently:

http://sabr.org/research/sabr-bookshelf-publishers-info

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

I see Triumph on that list, which is good because it's the first sports publisher that comes to my mind.

4. swenk

swenk Member

Your best bet is PublishersMarketplace.com. You can search for deals by every category, and get a pretty good idea of who's publishing what, along with the acquiring editors and agents making the deals.

I wouldn't limit your search the small list of publishers who specialize in sports; you can do very well (and frequently better) with a good general publisher who does some sports along with other non-fiction titles.

Lots of good self-published ebooks out there now as well, the "vanity press" stigma has been replaced by real opportunity and upside. If you have the twitter following or blog to generate clicks, you can sell a lot of books.

Draft saved Draft deleted