1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Blog

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by KevinmH9, Jun 13, 2008.

1. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Since graduating, my father has attempted to help me in this tough job market and assist me in the assets needed to get a job. My father and I were talking yesterday evening and he was speaking to a co-worker of his and he suggested starting a sports blog to add to my portfolio. Anyone ever do anything like this or know how to get started?

Thanks.

2. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

www.blogger.com
    www.yardbarker.com
    www.bleacherreport.com

3. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

There are plenty of free blogging software site out there such as Blogger and BlogSpot.

On the surface, yes, it can be a way to showcase your writing.

It can also be a double-edged sword: If you're writing absolute crap or even just making style and grammar mistakes, that stuff will live on the web for all to see -- including prospective employers.

4. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

The better idea is to just call your local newspaper and offer to cover a soccer game or something.

5. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Tried that. Never heard back. I told them I'd cover a sporting event for free. I'd write the story, they'd publish it and they could pocket their money.

No word.

6. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I know it's been used before, but ...

[​IMG]

Really, unless you're doing actual reporting - and it would probably be on a small, niche-level scale, restricted to high schools, college or the minor leagues - you're probably not doing anything other than interjecting opinion and lame jokes to news people have already reported.

EDIT: Oh, and for free? Really? Who's going to take you seriously if you can't even do it yourself?

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

For future reference: don't do that. You're a professional. Perhaps the paper didn't call you back because they're chotchnozzles, but maybe they didn't because the offer to write for free is peculiar. Probably no one else writes in that paper for free. If you don't think your work is worth compensation, why should they think it's worth publishing?

To that end, I wouldn't waste time on a blog. Spend the time you'd be doing on that to find story ideas that you can pitch and SELL, if not to newspapers, then to magazines. It's a tough market for full-time employment, yes, but there is money to be made in writing. You can find it.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

A word on being a freelancer. Be persistent.

Lots of folks offer to cover games. But if you have three guys you normally use, why take work away from one of them to give to some untested kid?

But there will be days that are so busy or the freelancers aren't available that you will give that kid a shot. And if you do great, you're in the rotation.

But persistence is a key. Someone who calls or emails one time and never checks back doesn't impress me. I'm going to forget all about him when I am looking for someone in two months.

Keep your name out there. Call or email or send a letter once a month or so. Or if its a busy season, or a big tournament coming to town, call and offer to help.

9. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

Kevin,

I see no problem with this. Writing ANYTHING is better than writing NOTHING.

10. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Ace is right on. Also, if they don't have stringer work for you, you can also ask about coming in on busy night (HS Friday nights Tuesday basketball, etc). In Texas anyway, most papers have extra bodies on hand in the office on Fridays just to field calls and do game re-writes. If they let you, it's a good way to get your foot in the door with the crew.

You can start a blog, but it's going to have to be real good to even be seen or heard. There's tons of stuff on the web/in print/etc....why does the world care about you're stuff?

11. NQLBLQ

NQLBLQ Member

It's a toss up. I'd say jump onto a blog that is more into reporting than commentary. They are out there. I run one, for example, that is about a 60/40 split. 60% reporting and 40% commentary.

But I will say, no one care about the commentary and usually only 10% of the news reported is "breaking" or not "day old."

I say give it a shot, if anything try new things, experiment with your style, learn the code (HTML, XHTML, PHP, SQL). Anything to pad up that portfolio.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

So, your father just graduated?

Be it blogs, freelance or whatever, learn to write first!

Draft saved Draft deleted