1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports affects lawsuit vs. Wal-Mart

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/other/06/06/0606texark.html

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Sweet. Lord. Jesus. Above.

3. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I love it when an attorney gets in front of a dictation machine drunk.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Not unheard of. I know people who won't go to Pennsylvania because John Dickinson sucked up to George III

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

An appeals judge would take one look at that order, wad it up and throw it back in his face.

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Gentler pastures of the Southeastern Conference? Blasphemy.

7. Football_Bat

Judge Bubbler would've made the Wal-Mart dude fly to Guam.

8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Coupla thoughts:
    1.) The way that story reads, the Hogs and Horns have played 76 times in Texas. Yeah, the Horns own the Razorbacks on the football field, but Arkansas is not part of The Great State.

2.) Were those the arguments the attorneys made, or did Nowlin come up with that on his own? I'd give the attorneys an iota of credit for making a creative argument, but if the judge spawned this drivel, he should be disbarred. One would think a wrongful death case would deserve more respect.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The judge should be unseated and disbarred before noon.

You're dealing with people's lives here, you pompous jock-slurping fuckbucket.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Dicta aside, the actual decision (hold the depo in Texarkana) is perfectly sound.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I think this phrase should be added to the SportsJournalists.com Style Book.

Classic stuff.

12. Football_Bat

Actually, of the other eight former SWC teams, Arkansas is right in the middle (UT leads, 55-21). A&M has fared the best against the Horns with a .662 percentage (73-36-5), showing how thoroughly UT dominated all of the SWC.

SMU has the second-best percentage (.671), but all but 5 of the Ponies' wins came before 1960 (and 3 of those were during the Dickerson/James era). Houston is No. 3, but didn't join the league until 1976.

http://www.mcubed.net/ncaaf/series/tx/index.shtml

Draft saved Draft deleted