1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sporting News up next?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by steveu, Nov 10, 2016.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Apparently it's layoff day at The Sporting News. Two people posted on Twitter they had been let go today.

Anyone with knowledge want to chime in?

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I honestly didn't realize the Sporting News still existed until just now.

I thought it had gone under years ago.

3. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Was just coming here to see if this made the board yet.

I am not being a wiseass here, but how does Sporting News survive? There is no print product, there is no over-the-air synergy, it doesn't serve as a portal for fantasy sports. Were I not in the business and knowing some of its writers, I'd never seek it out. I can't imagine how people outside of the biz seek it out.

It was trending towards click bait, maybe it can stick it out and do what CBSSports.com is doing, but is that really surviving?

cranberry likes this.
  4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

"Hey-yo, scrubeenies, I knew [sniff] the joint was toast [sniff]
    when they swatted yer pal Fly out the door [HONK!]. The noive!!"

BigRed, cranberry and dixiehack like this.
  5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

"Shaddup!!!!"

cranberry and Riptide like this.
  6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I have friends there. It was pretty ugly - I got this sent to me just a couple of minutes ago: Sporting News laid off at least seven editorial people today including two of its three baseball guys, chief photo editor, Jeff Owens and a few more.

7. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Ugh. I saw two names on APSE's Twitter feed but did not post out of respect. Wonder how long these people had been at Sporting News.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

The former "Bible of Baseball" down to one baseball guy? We all know how shitty it is out there, and it's been an ugly fall for a legacy publication. Still ...

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Sad stuff.

Sporting news had laid off others in recent years.

It still puts out a CFB guide, as I recall. Wonder if that stays or not.

Is it still affiliated with any sports bars?

10. I was a Sporting News subscriber up until its final magazine was printed in 2013. Thought it was always a quality read, something different from ESPN and SI. But their online presence is severely lacking.

However, I will say I still do treat the Sporting News Baseball Yearbook as the (yearly) Bible. I love it. I eat up everything I read in there. They still do a tremendous job on Yearbooks.

11. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

There was one in a Holiday Inn on Long Island for a few years, but it's been gone for a while.

12. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Love the yearbooks. Also thought their try at a daily online product was really good at times. Just didn't have the heft to carry it over.

Draft saved Draft deleted