1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sporting News ... Sold

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Sporting News does not put out a weekly newspaper.
    It publishes a magazine.

2. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Why buy the radio network only to shutter it? Wouldn't it make more sense to spin it off or not buy it at all? Plus, is this deal really being made on the print side to put TSN's previews out of business and change the magazine/newspaper/shell of its former self into an S&S-branded weekly or monthly publication?

3. Gold

Gold Active Member

I guess I'm showing my age because I always thought of it as a newspaper because it was printed on newspaper paper. I always think of magazines as having better quality paper, although there are news magazines on television.

4. jaredk

jaredk Member

FYI, Gold....Sporting News abandoned newsprint for magazine-quality stock 8, 9 yrs ago...

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

CT, I believe Allen made any potential buyer also take on the radio network and their assorted stations.

I'm sure Newhouse/ACBJ will McClatchy the radio stations ASAP.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Whitlock bought it.

7. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Vulcan Sports Media, Inc.?

Fascinating.

8. joe king

joe king Active Member

And yet ... illogical.

9. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Us XM subscribers have already seen a harbinger of things to come: The Sporting News channel on there has been changed to the XM Sports Nation channel. Mostly SNR stuff, but they're slipping in some of their own programming and will probably expand on that in the expectation that SNR does go out of business.

10. It's awful to see Sporting News get yet another kick in the teeth.

It used to be so good. Past 10 years, it kept searhing to find a niche, and it wasn't even successful at that. The online site was pretty good pretty early, and now I go to Sportsline, which I don't really like, and then ESPN, which takes too much time to load because they're trying to put up every fucking bell and whistle possible.

Sporting News shoulda been, coulda been, a strong No. 3 contender. Instead, they just shot the product all to hell.

John Rawlings, it's your turn to talk. Please do.

11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Pretty good take, Woodman.

Rawlings was the guy who decided they should take you inside the game. Instead of giving people information that was actually useful or interesting, they decided you needed to know that Todd Helton was getting more torque after switching to a bat that's an ounce lighter.

Are they still using mlb.com people for their baseball notes?

12. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Yeah, why would anyone want to know something about the game when they could find out which player makes up the locker room dance routines? You mean important stuff like that, Smasher?

Draft saved Draft deleted