1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sporting News ... Sold

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, Sep 5, 2006.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

http://www.radaronline.com/exclusives/2006/09/billionaire-buys-sporting-news-from-other-billionaire.php

Article says layoffs coming ...

2. joe king

joe king Active Member

It does? I read that story twice and didn't see that. As a matter of fact, that memo was carefully worded NOT to say layoffs are coming. Now, that doesn't mean they're not coming -- nobody would be shocked if it happens -- but the story doesn't say that.

3. StillGreen

StillGreen New Member

I guess if you're looking for a less sarcastic take on things, there are a bunch of hits for this on Google news now.

http://orlando.bizjournals.com/orlando/stories/2006/09/04/daily6.html

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I believe Advance (which would include American City Business Journal) is owned by Newhouse, so maybe this is a good thing.

5. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

It is.

Ray Shaw.

6. BMuddMan

BMuddMan Member

Have already heard they plan to incorporate NASCAR Scene and NASCAR Illustrated writers and content into TSN's NASCAR coverage which could elbow out Spencer and Crossman. And the ill-fated NASCAR Wire Service is history as is the Sporting News Radio Network. Wonder if other sports coverage in TSN will be affected?

7. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

How will the pre-season yearbooks be affected by this? Are we going to have The Sporting News Fantasy Football magazine presented by Street and Smith's or something? Seems like a good fit overall, but there is going to be some redundancy that likely will mean less people on board.

8. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

You know what would be nice, a cross-branding between the Sports Business Journal and Sporing News.

I don't want to see them merged. Rather, I want to see some SBJ content in TSN.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Great question. Unless they're committed to keeping the Sporting News brand out there I can't see a reason to produce both TSN and SnS preseason magazines.

10. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

It's possible that they may use the Sporting News for the fantasy sports previews and use Street and Smith's for the actual preseason magazines, capitalizing on TSN's writers for content.

11. Gold

Gold Active Member

From what the buyer does, it makes sense for almost every publication the Sporting News would put out...

.... except the weekly newspaper. My first thought off the top of my head is that they bought it for everything else.

12. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

If the Sporting News radio goes away, it takes Todd Wright, former late-night ESPN radio guy, off the air again. He was doing a nighttime show for them that was broadcast in Los Angeles on 1540 AM. Somebody should hire him because he's good at what he does in the time slot he's in.

Draft saved Draft deleted