1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sporting News sells off last bit of integrity

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dixiehack, Jul 31, 2006.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

300 issues for $14.92. Damn.

Do they still run a week's worth of old baseball boxscores in each issue? That's how long it's been since I've read TSN.

2. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Baseball Weekly, or whatever the hell it is now, doesn't even do that anymore.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

TSN once again confirms its complete irrelevancy:

[​IMG]

1.) Yeah, that's cool, getting Anna Benson to pose provocatively on your cover. Tough to get that done, since she's so shy and unwhorish. I think the only periodical that hasn't featured her nearly naked is my parents' church bulletin.

2.) The "best" issue. Nobody's ever done that. Shit, didn't TSN do a best issue once in which it declared, shockingly, that its home city St. Louis was the best sporting city in America?

4. Ira_Schoffel

Ira_Schoffel Member

Selling the cover is reprehensible. I'm all for people getting paychecks ... but there's another way to assure yourself of a paycheck: Put out a product that people WANT to read. Anything else ... selling the cover, etc. ... is just a short-term boost and only punches another hole in your ticket to the magazine graveyard.

My wife got me a freebie TSN subscription for like two years and I usually glance through it, but that's about it. The other day, she told me she could get another two years for like $2.99, and I said don't worry about it.

5. jaredk

jaredk Member

I'm not sure which is worse, selling the cover or putting Anna Benson out there. Both are symptoms that come with being No. 5 in a three-horse race. They try to compete with SI and ESPN as a national general-interest magaziine. Only they do it with a tiny fraction of the resources. The owner, Paul Allen, has billions of dollars and not a cent of passion for the magazine. They'd be better off recasting themselves as NFL-only, or MLB-only, or Anna Benson-only. Something.

It's been for sale on the open market for 6 months now and there's no word of a possible buyer. I've been a subscriber for a long time, mostly because I subscribe to everything in hopes I'll learn something, but it wouldn't surpriise me if one day it just went away.

6. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Editor & Publisher used to sell the cover of their magazine, for what it's worth.

I'd fight to the death if a newspaper tried to do this with its cover, but heck, it's a magazine, and it's a bad one at that. I think The Sporting News now is worse than Sport and Inside Sports 10 years ago, and that's pretty bad!

7. blandcanyon

blandcanyon Guest

Here's to when The Sporting News was about sports news, long before InTouch weekly and Us and Entertainment Tonight and so forth came along. A decent copy from decades ago is almost a collectors item.

8. lono

lono Active Member

The new acquisition candidate is Street & Smith's, which had people at Indy negotiating with Sporting News for a buyout. Don't know how it ended, but they both had hitters in Indy talking deal.

9. jaredk

jaredk Member

Don't the Street & Smith people publish Sports Business Journal, too?....

10. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

They do.

S&S buying TSN makes sense on its face... until you consider that TSN is 15-20 years past it's sell-by date.

I subscribed through the 80s and largely enjoyed what it did. Read a copy two weeks ago while having my oil changed and the first thought I had was of an actress trying to hang on long past her prime.

11. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

I still enjoy reading Dave Kindred, but his columns run on the LA Times-Washington Post news service at work.

Sad how far this publication has plummeted. But they're not exactly the Lone Ranger are they ... (Right SI?)

12. somewriter

somewriter Member

I'm guessing Street and Smiths would be interested in the yearbooks side of it - which I think is a profitable part of the business.

Draft saved Draft deleted