1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sporting News on life support

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by NYknight, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

"Garry Howard didn't kill SN. But he sure as shit wasn't the guy to hire if you wanted fresh ideas or hard work or to turn things around."

This is certainly true. And then he hired a bunch of cronies. Nothing wrong with that, if your cronies are talented.

2. NYknight

NYknight Guest

He is the guy you want if you're looking for nothing more than name-dropping, high fives, loud clapping and sports trivia questions at staff meetings. All of this leads to the state of SN today.

3. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Too bad ... what's funny is that SN's owners had at least three people already working for them in other publications who were far better qualified to take Sporting News to the next level (two of them were working in the NASCAR division before it got shredded -- one got shown the door, the other I believe is still there running the magazine -- and the third is an AME for Sports Business Journal) ...

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

Garry is a rah-rah type of editor.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Can you put "editor" in quotes please?

6. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

And in blue font ... :)

7. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

You're exactly right. That's why I never preferred TSN. They were too focussed on baseball. By the time they noticed the other sports, they were so far behind it didn't matter. But, yes, they did actually compliment each other at one time.

8. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

TSN suffered from a lot of boring stories. They would run a short feature for every MLB team weekly. So they would have a feature about a back-up catcher on the rangers and nothing on the Cowboys game. I also think the fact they stuck to newsprint rather than moving to a magazine presentation never really allowed them to develop their advertising.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Ok, Garry may not be the most popular editor around but again, he's not the sole reason for the problems.

10. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

One jackhole comes on here and claims the deal is on life support with no legitimate info to back him/herself and you lemmings all buy the whole deal? No wonder the media business is going to hell.

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Lemmings? I called a friend at TSN. He says the print magazine is killed.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

I have to agree with Rip on this one.

Draft saved Draft deleted