1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

split the pot nights

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by EGM67, Oct 7, 2008.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Yes.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Sorry, but I don't have a problem with it.

3. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

If you win a substantial amount of money at halftime, pull a kid out of the crowd, hand him $100 and tell him where to send his story.

Because YOU ... are going on vacation.

4. RayKinsella

RayKinsella Member

I've never put money in, but I have been intrigued because at a more then a few events, the pot was near $1,000 and winning half of that would double my monthly income as a sportswriter.

But I knew better and declined. When in doubt, just say no. Right Granny?

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

How is that worse than NFL or MLB writers participating in fantasy leagues?

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I've been to games where they announce the number, and when you come up and claim the prize, they give your name so everyone can pat you on the back in the stands. Wasn't a town of 100, but it was a small-town environment.

But again, I'm not saying the school would do that. Just that someone in the crowd might think they did. You have to avoid even the appearance of impropriety. Not entering those things is an easy way of doing it.

If you feel, for whatever reason, led to make some small donation, buy your program from one of the cheerleaders instead of taking a free one.

7. jps

jps Active Member

I just don't do it. you're there to cover the game. you aren't a fan. I don't know. just doesn't feel right.

8. sg86

sg86 Member

I was actually thinking about this the other day at a volleyball match and decided not to. I just figure it would be in poor taste.

Although I sat in the stands next to a group of 30 yr old ladies who literally got there, bought 3 50-50 tickets each, then sat in the top section discussing a book they were all reading. I asked one lady if she knew who one of the girls was because she wasn't on the roster and she replied.

"Oh, we just go to games twice a week to try and win the 50-50 and get out of the house, all of our daughters are in college"

I was kind of floored by the though of someone going just for that reason.

9. Wait a second, it was a group of 30 yr old ladies and their kids were already in college? Sure they weren't just a bit older?

And yes, I know this has nothing to do with anything on this thread. Just thought that was funny.

10. EGM67

EGM67 New Member

I probably won't do it. Most nights I don't even have $5 for a ticket.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

lots of 12 and 13 year olds having babies in sg's town, i'm afraid

12. sg86

sg86 Member

Haha... I meant 40...you'd think I could properly utilize a keyboard

Draft saved Draft deleted