1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Spidey Sensuous" M.J. statue (possibly NSFW)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by buckweaver, May 17, 2007.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

http://www.nypost.com/seven/05162007/news/nationalnews/mary_jane_is_spidey_sensuous_nationalnews_neil_graves.htm

[​IMG]

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

http://www.thestar.com/artsentertainment/article/214778

Elizabeth McDonald of girl-wonder.org, an organization dedicated to "high-quality character depiction" within the comic book industry, is puzzled as to what Sideshow and Marvel could have been thinking.

"I find the blend of domestic subservience and sexual availability distasteful, since it is not a particularly good representation of the character," she said from Winnipeg.

"If you were to choose one pose of Spider-Man to make into a statue, would it be him on his hands and knees under the sink cleaning the drain? I think that's unlikely. So why take Mary Jane, one of the first women in comics to keep her name after being married, the breadwinner in that relationship, and decide that the most iconic portrayal of her is doing laundry? And of course, since it's unthinkable to produce a statuette without sex appeal, naturally she's doing laundry with her thong and cleavage displayed."

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

, "Mary Jane, the Other White Meat,"

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Nice

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Wow...people get fired up over some STUPID shit.

Have these people seen the insane way these women are drawn in comics? Many renditions I have seen are flat out anatomically impossible. It's a fantasy people. Get over it.

That is one reason why the film representations of characters like Jean Grey and Mary Jane Watson don't look much like the characters as they have been drawn in the comics. Very few women, if any, look like that. Fewer still have those kinds of looks and can act.

Don't get me wrong. Famke Janssen (Jean Grey in the X-Men movies) is beautiful and I thought she was very good in the role. But Jean Grey walking of the pages of the comics she ain't.

Kirsten Dunst is even farther removed from her two-dimensional counterpart, and a hell of a lot more realistic because of it.

That's the point. These chracters aren't real or, in many cases, realistic.

6. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

looks kinda like Kari from Mythbusters... meow.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Apparently your Spidey sense is tingling.

8. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

looks like it's from the same guy who did the Brandy/Liberty Meadows statuette.

9. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

THANK you.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I haven't seen Spidey 3 yet, but they certainly managed to work in prominent wet T-shirt scenes for Mary Jane into 1 and 2.

Draft saved Draft deleted