1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Spell-check horror #18,441

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sirvaliantbrown, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Former major league player Robert Fick, especially when he was with the Braves. Apparently the 'I' key is thisclose to the "U" key.

Never got in the paper, but I caught it a couple of times of page proofs. Yikes!

2. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Well, that would be a good night.

3. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

I get nostalgic for Coyote. Definitely need to command-K that file ...

4. Who is Sergei Federov? Did you mean Fedorov?

5. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Distant cousins.

6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

We had a high school project where we had to put together a newspaper for a particular year in history. My group managed to get "shit" in there twice, misspelling two different words ("shirt" and "shift") in the process.

7. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

My community college newspaper: Story about a local "Lebanese" family; Spellcheck changed them all to "lesbian"

Never made it to print, luckily.

8. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Man, I sure wish I could recall the details, but we had a copy editor once using the grammar-check function in Word instead of spell-check. Then he clicked "Replace All" instead of "Ignore All" and it ended up replacing every "an" with "a" or something like that, leading to about 30 words being misspelled in a 15-inch story. I caught it on the final read, but it took a while to fix it -- and to figure out how the hell it happened.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

My old paper once had a story about a local ski resort's new snot-making equipment.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I've told the story on here before, but the publisher at my first paper wrote a column for one of the holidays. Included the word placemat. Spellcheck changed it to placenta, so she wrote about setting her silverware down on the placenta.

I don't think anyone saw it until I pointed it out the next day.

11. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Depends (pun intended). Were they his own or other people's? I kinda think it would suck to stop other people's shits.

12. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Hey, we were on Coyote until last year. Still have people that want it back, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted