1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Spel wurdz the wae thae sound

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by buckweaver, Jul 5, 2006.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060705/ap_on_re_us/simpl_wurdz

I'm not in favor of a wholesale change of the way words are spelled in English, but I am in favor of some spellings like "nite" and "thru" to become standard, as long as they're "common" (i.e. easily interpreted) spellings of an accepted word like "night" or "through".

Also gotta give props to the AP writer, Darlene Superville, for the way she wrote this piece. Once you get the hang of it, it's actually quite simple to figure it out, although it took me a lot longer to finish the article than if it was written in standard English:

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Didn't Robert McCormack try that at the Shikago Trehbune sevruhl yearz uhgo?

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Somewhere pho-real is nodding in approval.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

If by "several years ago," you mean 1975, then sure. :)

5. HC

HC Well-Known Member

See what happens.  It starts innocently enough with dropping the "u" out of "colour" and "honour".  Next thing you know, you have a country that spells cheese KRAFT and relief ROLAIDS.

Just say "no" to the dumbing down of the English language.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Whatever. You just stay north of the border, hoser. :D

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

No, I mean like the 30s...which would make sense since it ended in 1975...hence the 40 years

8. HC

HC Well-Known Member

North of the border ... where English is still spoke (semi) correctly and the beer is awesome.  :D

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Yah. I know what you're talking aboot, eh.

The colour in the theatre is spectacular. It reallly brings honour to the local town centre.

10. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Geez, Doc. I had no idea you spoke Canadian. Next double double at Tim's is on me. ;D

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm usually anti-Canadian, but I say 'Amen' sister.

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Hell, since you can sing the Ave, Maria, the beer's on me.

Draft saved Draft deleted