1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Speeding!!!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Been ticketed for speeding in 5 different states: Illinois, Missouri, Kentucky, Tennessee and Georgia. Florida, looks like you're next!

Had pretty much talked my way out of the Tennessee ticket until the officer noticed my license was expired, a fact unbeknownst to me at the time.

And they make your northeasterners go to class for 20 mph over the limit? What a bunch of pansies. I recently got one for going 83 in a 55 (on a road in Atlanta where the only ones going 55 are cars breaking down or with flat tires or bicyclists). Make us go to driving class for that? No way. Rather, they give you a certificate to take a free lap at Atlanta Motor Speedway.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

BYH has nothing on Shaun Rogers of the Browns:

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2009/04/browns_star_shaun_rogers_cited.html

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I've gotten plenty of speeding tickets in New York. I've talked every one of them down to a failure to obey a controlled traffic device, a two-point hit and a lesser fine.

I just got one in New York the last time I visited family, actually. It was like a welcome back present.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

This kind of story always bothers me. They build a 3- or 4-lane superhighway, then stick a completely unrealistic 50 or 55-mile per hour speed limit on it. NOTHING impedes the efficient flow of traffic faster than an artifically-low speed limit. Instead of letting the cars separate naturally, they're all clustered together because everybody has to drive too damn slow.

I was recently in Virginia, driving on I-95. Posted limit was 65. Traffic in the left lane was flowing easily at 75-80, and there were plenty of cops in the median who were smart enough to let those driving safely, albeit over the speed limit, to keep traffic moving smoothly. I'm sure they'd pop some idiot doing 85 or so, as they should, but 75 is a perfectly safe speed.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

And if that doesn't work take out the ticket, shove it down the back of your pants and wipe your ass with it. Then throw it on the floor in disgust, whip out your junk and take a piss on it. That'll show 'em what you think of their stupid laws.

6. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I imagine your insurance rates are sky-high...?

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I've gotten one ticket for speeding in my life. Doing 89 in 55 on the Appalachian Highway heading to Cincy from Athens. Paid my fine, got yelled at by the parents and haven't gotten pulled over for speeding since (have gotten pulled over like three times for a headlight being out though).

8. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

:)

9. Reminds me of Interstate 635 in Dallas. Huge highway, HOV lane and the speed limit is 60 mph. Drives me insane. People always wonder why it's so jammed up all the time. If it was 70 mph, they wouldn't have near the problem.

10. carrie

carrie Active Member

If getting to anything requires taking 635, I ain't going. Simple as that. 635 is Satan's Circle, as far as I'm concerned.

11. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I can imagine Gus Johnson's call of BYH's speeding citation.

<i>His driving was wicked, and he got a ticket. BYH had the need for speed and now his wallet will bleed! Ha!</i>

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

The Beltway (aka I-495) laughs in 635's general direction.

Draft saved Draft deleted