1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Speaking of the Expos...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CarltonBanks, Aug 10, 2010.

1. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Someone mentioned the Expos and how much talent they had in another thread. I agree with him and, since I was bored, went to the numbers to see if anything stood out. The 1982 Expos are a perfect example of doing nothing with a great deal of talent. Is it any wonder Mgr. Jim Fanning ended up in the broadcast booth? Yes, I know he won the Division in 1981, but look at this team in '82 and tell me how his team finished in third place, six games out. By the way, has there ever been a more underrated player than Al Oliver?

Hitters Hits 2b HR Avg. RBI OPS
    Gary Carter 163 32 29 .293 97 .890
    Andre Dawson 183 37 23 .301 83 .841
    Al Oliver 204 43 22 .331 107 .906
    Warren Cromartie 126 24 14 .254 62 .744
    Tim Raines 179 32 4 .277 43 .723

Raines was 78-for-94 stealing bases while Dawson stole 39-of-49

Pitching W L IP R ER H BB K ERA
    Steve Rogers 19 8 277.0 84 74 245 65 179 2.40
    Bill Gullickson 12 14 236.2 101 94 231 61 155 3.57
    Charlie Lea 12 10 177.2 70 64 145 56 115 3.24
    Scott Sanderson 12 12 224.0 98 86 212 58 158 3.46
    Jeff Reardon 7 4 109.0 28 25 87 36 86 2.06

Reardon also had 26 saves and the TEAM had a 3.33 era, 34 complete games and a WHIP of 1.25

How did this team not win the division. The numbers also show how different the game is now…for example, can anyone see a team’s closer pitching 109 innings in a season? How about a staff with 34 complete games? This is my nomination for the biggest underachieving team in history. Anyone have any other nominations?

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

A 3.33 ERA wasn'T that earth-shattering back then

3. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

In a 30-minute special I once did on the decline of the Expos, Fanning said -- on-camera -- that drugs killed that team.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Who was a druggie besides Raines?

5. Elliotte Friedman

Rodney Scott, for sure. I can't remember if anyone else, though.

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

No, I think he's pretty well rated. Very good offensive player. Not a lot of power, was never a speed guy, either. He would have had a better chance for 3,000 hits except he spent too many of his final years in the NL, and he was too much of a defensive liablity to put on the field much. If he'd been able to DH for a season or three, he probably would have made 3,000.

7. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

I saw a stat on Oliver I loved...one year he stole 14 bases and was caught stealin 16 times. After 1977 he stole 43 bases the rest of his career and was caught 46 times. That's awesome.

EF, he said that on camera? That's amazing.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Let's keep in mind that Warren Cromartie wasn't an everyday player. He couldn't hit lefties worth a shit. Your crack research ignores Tim Wallach, who was definitely better than Cromartie as an all-around threat at the plate.

The answer isn't that hard ... the Expos never put it all together at once. They were in several races, but never got over the hump.

And other than Rodney Scott and Raines, Ellis Valentine was also suspected of having had a drug problem, wasn't he?

9. Elliotte Friedman

Yes, he was, but Valentine was gone by 1982.

And, yes, Fanning said it on-camera. I don't work at The Score any longer, and don't have immediate access to the clip. He said something along the lines of, "The reason I felt that team did not reach its potential was drugs." He went into it a little more. He wasn't being accusatory -- it was more of a sad feeling, because he saw its chance at greatness.

A "holy shit" moment to me, for sure.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

A lot of teams had drug problems back then. The team that won the World Series in '82 -- the Cardinals -- weren't exactly allergic to the blow themselves.

11. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Bill Lee -- he of the marijuana-laced pancakes -- was on that '82 team ... briefly. He staged a walkout to protest the team releasing Rodney Scott. Then he was released.

12. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Look up the 94 Expos. That's quite a story.

Draft saved Draft deleted