1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Speaking of investments. Any of you doing this?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Yawn, Jan 22, 2008.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Oh, you are going to see a huge run on nuclear power in the next 20 years, so investing in uranium would be wise.

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Why not buy shares from those fleeing the market, short 'em, and cash in on the rebound? Buy low, sell high, no?

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm going with Hannah Montana collectibles.

4. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I heard that Beany Babies are hot.

5. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I'll trade you my Garbage Pail Kids cards. Shit, I left 'em at home in my Members Only jacket. Be right back.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Ahem ... WOLVERINES!!!

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I loved Members Only jackets. Not only did they not keep you warm, they didn't look good, either.

8. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

Gold was a good buy, eight years ago. I bought a few ounces when it was $270 an ounce. When it hits $1,000 an ounce, I'm selling. Most of it. Read a story the other day. If the markets around the world do collapse, the dollar continues to lose value, gold will lose its appeal. Not because it will lose value, but because there won't be enough people left who have the money to buy it.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Call me ignorant ... I know so little about investing, and don't really have the money to do it even if I wanted to (which I do, one day.)

How/where do you "buy a few ounces" of gold, what do you do with it while you're waiting for it to appreciate, and how/where will you sell it when it hits the price you want to unload?

10. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

I bought my online from a site called Kitco.com.
    One of my wife's cousins prospects for gold near Sacramento. He uses this site to buy and sell his gold. I used it years ago, then when gold got too rich for my blood, I stopped buying. That was about eight years ago. Just been holding tight until it hits the $1,000 mark.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I've started buying $5 silver maple leaf coins... waiting until I get a real job to buy the gold ones.

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Gold is a decent investment if you have the foresight to buy it, hang on to it then wait to see it appreciate. Its readily available, go to your local coin shop and belly up. Now its not just like buying a $10 bar, we're talking serious money.

True story. Had a client in LA ask me once when I visited in 2007, after golf ask "want to go to a coin shop with me?" I said sure, no biggie. Well we cruise into West Hollywood (very seedy) in a limo and before we get there he tells me what he's going to do, he bought about $25k in gold coins (regular US mint) about 2 years ago along with some rare 1900 gold coins and was going to cash them in to buy a new sports car. Well, he cashed out to the tune of nearly $65k. I was dumbfounded walking into the shop with that much around me plus floored that this hole in the wall dealt in such huge $$$ (explained the bars and armed guard at the front door). I could not wait to get out of there.

Draft saved Draft deleted