1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Speaking of gun control...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Turns out the West Virginia Mountaineer's musket fires more than powder.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/west-virginia-mascot-shoots-kills-black-bear-musket-205315241--ncaaf.html

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Guns kill more than just people.

If one cannot have the nickname "Indians" or "Warriors" because of political correctness run amok, how does "Mountaineers" pass muster?

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Ugh.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Great hunter. Shoots a bear out of a fucking tree. Asshole

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I thought this was another Petrino thread.

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Gun control? Use both hands.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

WVU's mascot is a redneck douche. Who knew?

8. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Bear be tasty. My only issue is the age of the bear. Was not a very big bear.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

First thing I thought of too.

And JR, tracking one and shooting it out of a tree demonstrates more hunting skill than sitting in a stand and waiting at a bait station, which is how most bear hunting is done.

10. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

From the story:

West Virginia did issue a statement on the matter:
    "While Jonathan Kimble's actions broke no laws or regulations, the University has discussed this with him and he agrees that it would be appropriate to forego using the musket in this way in the future. There are some provisions regarding the gun, but none that prohibit its use outside of University-sponsored functions or for hunting purposes. It is also worth noting that powder is used when the musket is discharged at public functions."

As noted in the article, the musket is school-issued. IMHO, It's not to silly of a rule to say "Nothing but powder ever goes into that barrel." Yeah, it's an extremely remote possibility that the rifle discharges a shot at a school function (or is involved in a crime or a hunting accident) but why even risk it? Tradition, blah. There are other guns to hunt with.

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

What a moron.

What....he didn't want to go shoot a bear at the local zoo?

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I have relatives in Upper Michigan for whom it's a rite of passage to be the one who sits on the hood of the truck, scouting, as they drive through the woods looking for a bear to shoot. I presume they're scouting, not being offered as bear bait.

Draft saved Draft deleted