1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Speaking At Career Days

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Flying Headbutt, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I'm doing one this week. Advice? What would you tell a bunch of 6th-8th graders?

2. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Go into law.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Tell funny sports stories from your experience, drop some cool names that they would know, and wrap it up by telling them that in the title "sports writer", the "writing" is about 80% of the job and "sports" is 20%.

4. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Encourage the class to ask you questions. Before you go to class, ask the teacher if each student can prepare a question to ask.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Advice? Run! Run like hell!!!

I've done a few of these even if you don't count the times my mom has me come to her kindergarten class to tell them how important it is to read and write and pay attention to her. Cougar's idea is a good one...the last non-kindergarten class I spoke to all had questions ready.

6. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

Tell them about SportsJournalists.com and let them know that we are looking for new blood.

Seriously. Tell them what you would have thought was interesting when you were young. Have a story ready about how you decided to do what you are doing. Questions are always the easiest rout.

Good luck.

7. Clubber_Slang

Clubber_Slang Active Member

Tell them about the groupies.
    Y'all do get groupies, right?

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Diddy is one cool dude to go work for -- and he's hiring!

9. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

do the groupies have to be of legal age?

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I wish.

I was intimidated by those little fuckers.

Combined with my being shaky teaching anything to begin with.... it wasn't the best.

However, one eighth-grade girl said I changed her life. Go figure.

It was the exact opposite of a Pyrrhic victory.

11. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Some years ago at my last paper, the ME brought a bunch of us to talk to her son's sixth-grade class. The other people talked to them like they were children. I was supposed to talk about design and I brought a bunch of newspapers, including some in foreign languages, to try to teach them that even if you had no idea what they were saying, you could tell what's important by its play on a page. The ME said, "I think you went a bit over the heads." The features bitch said, "It's obvious you don't have kids." I felt like an idiot, although I clearly remember being 11 and being able to understand some adult conversation. A couple weeks later, the ME was a big enough person to call me into her office and show me the thank-you notes the kids wrote, and those who mentioned learning anything mentioned what I taught them, maybe because I was the only one who tried to teach them how something works. I will never forget her for doing that, but I also never will forget that if you try to give them something and don't treat them like idiots, you will reach some of them.

12. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

My advice? Drink heavily.

Draft saved Draft deleted