1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sparty football players storm a dorm, slap women, assorted mayhem, etc.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Nov 24, 2009.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Player involved in dorm fight got an OUI Sunday night. Still on team.

http://www.freep.com/article/20101012/SPORTS07/101012053/1354/sports/MSUs-Rucker-cited-for-driving-under-influence

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Didn't realize OUI was still being published, or that buying one was grounds for getting bounced off the team.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Probation officer recommends JAIL.

http://www.freep.com/article/20101013/SPORTS07/101013068/1320/Ruckers-probation-officer-recommends-jail

Which of course will probably be served in February.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I had the same probation officer when I got my MIP (underage drinking -- I was 20 btw). He let me off the hook when on summer vacation I accidentally went to the Sheriff to take a breathe test and I only had like three dollars cash on me. The tests were $5 but I was out of town, got lost, and had to put gas in the car. ATM at the station was broken. I'm sure it sounded like a bullshit story. Had I known he would have bought it, I would have saved the trip and gotten partied the night before.

5. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

you were caught drinking and they made you pay for the breathalyzer? where was that Mongolia?

6. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Because having people who are on probation pick up the cost for the services they use is un-American?

(No offense mustangj17 -- I hope the probation was relatively quick and easy).

7. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

i know they replace the plastic piece you blow into but i was thinking something like that probably costs about 15 cents, guess i was wrong.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

It was part of my plea deal to have the charged removed from my record. Now when I apply for jobs, nobody can see it.

I had to pay a $200 fine, take an alcohol awareness class, and take random breathlyzers 3-4 days per week at the cost of $5 per visit. It was a very expensive 6 pack I drank, but I broke the law - it is what it is. BTW, had I been caught in a state like Tennessee it would only have cost $50. Would have been nice.

9. TimmyP

TimmyP Member

I remember reading this from one of Dantonio's press briefings in the midst of all this last December. I wonder when he will announce that Rucker is dismissed, given all the "zero tolerance" talk. Or if that doesn't apply because he's such a good player. But I'd really like to hear a beat writer challenge Dantonio about it ...

Q. When you make the decision to suspend the player versus dismiss, does that mean that after a second chance, there are no more strikes?

COACH DANTONIO: Zero tolerance played into that decision. After being given a second opportunity, there is a zero tolerance policy; meaning that if there are any issues whatsoever, it's a done deal. And so those two will remain dismissed. There is no way to back in the door. They are done.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I agree. This is all about coaching ethics. If he dismisses him though, Rucker's NFL chances are going to drop. He will probably get drafted, but not as high. Still, why should coach put his neck out there. He did it once with Winston and it bit him.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Talk about a coach who really doesn't need to be dealing with shit like this right now.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

He's the one who decided to hand out second chance after second chance after second chance to thugs.

Draft saved Draft deleted