1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Space shuttle launch scrubbed until Wednesday

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Set for liftoff at 1:36 a.m.

As of now weather and all other factors appear good.

Should be visible off the Atlantic coast for viewers up to about Virginia.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Re: Space shuttle set to launch

Weather is not good. Lightning situation has improved, but still a bunch of rain within 20 nautical miles of launch site; still very iffy although rain is dissipating

Shuttle range officer just confirmed still no-go due to weather.

Here's the Weather Underground launch site Wundermap, which puts the radar info on a Google map.

http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/?lat=28.62000084&lon=-80.72000122&zoom=10&pin=Nasa%20Shuttle%2c%20FL

3. 2muchcoffeeman

Scrubbed. Weather.

Trying again at 0110 Wednesday.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Cool, i can have a couple of brews and head to bed. ;)

5. 2muchcoffeeman

It was absolutely raining cats and dogs an hour ago at the launch site. Made for an interesting picture with the rain, the shuttle and the vent in the background burning off excess hydrogen in the rain.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

RT @NASA: The shuttle launch attempt for Wed. morn has been scrubbed due to a problem with a valve in the main propulsion system.

Coverage: http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/090825-sts128-second-launch-scrub.html

So I can go to bed earlier tonight.

7. KG

KG Active Member

I wish the flight path came over the Atlanta area so I could at least (maybe) see it with a telescope when it took off.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

RT @NASA: We will now target Discovery's launch on Friday at 12:22aET pending a review Thursday of analysis on the valve issue.

KG: Never happen. The main reason they picked Cape Canaveral was so they could launch over the water. No people there.

9. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Also, further south gives you a bigger speed boost from the earth's rotation.

10. KG

KG Active Member

A girl can dream, right?

Every time I'm in Fla. when there's supposed to be a launch, it gets delayed.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

Discovery on schedule for 11:59 p.m. EDT launch. Fueling complete, no problems indicated with valve or other hardware. Weather is only 60 percent go, per space.com.

Here's your dual mission patches:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I'm in Vero Beach right now. Weather pretty overcast, saw some lightning to the south an hour ago during dinner. Hoping it goes, though...

Draft saved Draft deleted