1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sox fan in enemy territory

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by miroba71, Aug 14, 2007.

1. miroba71

miroba71 New Member

I need some advice here.

On Aug. 30, I'm going to a Red Sox-Yankees game at the Stadium. It's a Thursday afternoon game. My girlfriend and I are both sitting in the bleachers. I'm a Red Sox fan, and she roots for the Red Sox because I do. It says 'alchohol' on the tickets, so I'm guessing that means alcohol is allowed in our section.

My question is, how safe would it be for my girlfriend and I to wear Red Sox gear (caps and shirts) in the bleachers at Yankee Stadium? I went to a Red Sox-Yankees game at the Stadium late last season and saw plenty of people wearing Red Sox stuff. But we were sitting on the first-base side toward the back, and the Red Sox were out of contention by then. I have a feeling it might be a different animal in the bleachers, with the teams most likely neck-and-neck in the standings.

Any thoughts?

2. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Where you are in the bleachers might matter somewhat -- upper deck corner is one thing, center field is another -- but in general I'd advise against it with your girl there. It can get pretty intense out there, and if you want to actually enjoy the game, that's far less likely if you're in Sawx gear. I can stomach a lot myself or with my buddies, but if they go after my girl it's a lot more likely to escalate.

3. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Last time I checked, there is no alcohol sale in the right field bleachers, which are usually the more intense ones. the LF bleachers are ok. I've heard a lot of S**t in the bleachers, but haven't actually seen any real physical violence. A Yankee fan has a lot more to fear in Boston (at least from my experience). I've been to the stadium with Sox fans a bunch of times and nothing has happend.

4. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I went to a game and sat in the center field bleachers wearing Sox gear and was harassed the entire night. No big deal.
    There's no booze out there, but trust me, people were drinking ... a lot.
    You're going to get harassed for being a Sox fan and for being there with your girlfriend. And any Yankee fan that says its worse in Boston is crazy. Neither fans have anything to fear as long as they keep their mouth shut and take the abuse.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I don't even think you need to keep your mouth shut. You just need to keep the trash talk good-natured.

I've sat in Fenway with Yankees apparel on and had a great time, ribbing including. I've sat in the left field bleachers (and around most of the rest) of Yankee Stadium with my buddies who are Sox fans wearing B's and they didn't have much of a problem. Having a couple of big guys in our group helps, but it's really all about attitude.

If you don't come in acting pissy and just try to have fun with everyone, you'll be alright. For as much as I've heard people wondering about safety, the only time I've seen anything close to a fight was a Yankee fan and his girlfriend at Fenway getting harassed by about the drunkest people I've ever seen at a game. It's certainly the exception, not the rule.

I mean, uh, you should talk about all their mothers and make lots of 9/11 jokes. That's the only way to get them on your side. Yeah, that's it. ;)

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Where do you want the bodies shipped?

7. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Exactly just don't be the asshole that turns around and taunts the whole section after Boston scores a run.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Good thing you've got tickets... You'd never find it on TV because ESPN has no idea these two teams exist

9. Honestly, I hope you guys have thick skin because you, and ESPECIALLY your girlfriend will be made fun of relentlessly. I would be shocked if any violence broke out (unless you taunt them), but if you want to enjoy the actual game (and not have to worry about getting a dog or beer thrown at you) i would probably leave the sox gear at home.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I understand ESPN may pre-empt the Yankee-Red Sox game if it's confirmed that Michael Vick goes to 7-11 for a Slurpee

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Wear your gear. Don't sell you pride for your safety. Be there. Be loud. Be ready for the abuse. That's part of the fun of going to Yankee Stadium. Whenever I'm there, I root for the opposing team, whether it be the Mets or the Angels.

12. miroba71

miroba71 New Member

Someone said where the seats are located might matter. The seats are in Section 53, Row U, if that helps. Behind Monument Park. BTW, when is Monument Park open before the game?

Draft saved Draft deleted