1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Southwest Airlines

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Shaggy, Feb 5, 2007.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

The handful of times I've flown Southwest I've liked had good experiences. Just needed to get there to check in early to make sure I got an A ticket, but the flight was fine, the flight attendants have always been nice (and in some cases funny), flight was on-time. Can't comment on baggage handling because the handful of times I've flown them I've always been able to pack everything I need into a carry-on suitcase.

2. southwest is great... only airline better is midwest express. i fly southwest and midwest exclusively.

someone hasn't flown southwest in a long time. the planes with facing seats have been eliminated.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Facing seats were great for little rugrats, though. No way for them to kick the seats in front of them.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I love Southwest. Lining up for my B ticket sucks sometimes when they wait to board, but I've never had a complaint about Southwest otherwise.

5. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Midwest is the best airline around, period. Now if only AirTran would drop dead...

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/35119/

6. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Is that reality show 'Airline' still on TV?

I used to watch that a lot and laugh. It was all about Southwest.

7. We don't have Midwest where I live, although I've heard great things about them. Domestically, however, I fly Southwest almost exclusively and have for more than 10 years. I've never had a bad experience with them. The cattle call is a minor inconvenience for the fares and the convenience.

Internationally, I fly either United or American. No real complaints there, either.

Now, Northwest? That's another story ...

8. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I can usually get an A boarding pass on Southwest even when it's a connecting flight. The last time I had that issue, I landed 30 minutes before my next flight was supposed to leave and still got an A pass.

American's lost my baggage before and despite promises that I'd get it back the same day as my flight, it took more than 2 days to get it back. I've never had an issue with baggage on Southwest before.

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

As someone who rides the SF-LA corridor regularly for the past 5 years, Southwest is great. A is nice, but B & C is okay also because the vast majority of their flights are on-time. I'd say about 85-90% of my flights. That's the most important factor for my use. Their customer service is also quite nice. Now I'm not going to take a 3 leg flight coast to coast on Southwest, but for the short 1 hr - 1.5 hr (SF-SEA) flights, Southwest is nice, especially for the price.

10. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

Southwest is outstanding because of the lack of change fees. I've already got my tickets lined up for the team I cover's expected NCAA tourney spots. If it doesn't work out that way, no problem. I'll use the money soon enough and I haven't lost a dime. The other airlines could get some of my business just by matching them on that, but until then Viva Southwest!

11. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

It was canceled, unfortunately. I too was a fan -- loved the drunk passengers.

12. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

Sadly the entire airline industry has failed us in so many ways. It just gets worse and worse. I'll never book US Air again and I'm sure we all have companies we won't travel on.

That being said, in the traveling climate we travel in now, Southwest is the best. You don't eat on Delta either, even for a La-NY trip unless you're in first. The fares are half what you'll pay anywhere else, and your dollar actually goes further.

As for not getting a good seat, I have a great system but it means you have to check in online 24 hours before. If you do that, and get in the A section, you will never NEVER, be stuck in a middle row. Do the math. Aisle/middle seats > A-boarding passes. And you don't have to print the pass, just check in. You'll still get the A-pass at the airport.

Draft saved Draft deleted