1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Southern Rock Mount Rushmore

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Driftwood, Aug 11, 2019.

1. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Spanning the generations:

Lynyrd Skynyrd
    Allman Brothers
    Black Crowes
    Drive By Truckers

2nd Tier:
    Molly Hatchet
    .38 Special
    Marshall Tucker
    Outlaws
    Blackfoot
    Blackberry Smoke
    CDB (pre-right-wing transformation)

Honorable Mention:
    Brother Cane
    Barefoot Jerry
    Wet Willie

Note my cup of tea but they deserve recognition:
    Black Oak Arkansas
    Atlanta Rhythm Section

I don't include ZZ Top, Fabulous Thunderbirds or Little Feat because they're more blues rock. I don't include Tom Petty, REM or B-52s because their music has so little country influence - the just happen to be from the south. I also don't include DMB for that reason and because they're terrible. Not sure what to do with California country folk rock like Gram Parsons.

Finally -- anyone who merited a shout-out in either Charlie Daniels's "The South's Gonna Do It Again" or Molly Hatchet's "Gator Country" gets a place on the list. So also Barefoot Jerry, Elvin Bishop and Grinderswitch (though I disagree with Charlie's inclusion of ZZ Top, who are really their own genre).

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  2. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

No list of Southern Rock is complete without this:

The lines between rock/country/pop/rockabilly, etc. are not that easily defined. Some music fits better in different places on the spectrum. Mention Jimmie Rodgers to a group of folklorists and/or ethnomusicologists, stand back, and have bandages ready. Same goes for food studies types and foodies when it comes to BBQ.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  3. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

And Charlie Daniels' fat ass needs to be belabored with the stub end of a hockey stick. It's personal. I hate his bloviating and I had to march behind him and the equine poop machine charged with carrying him in multiple parades.

FileNotFound likes this.
  4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

since Mt. Rushmore is composed of individuals,

Duane Allman

Ronnie Van Zant

Johnny Winter

Billy Gibbons

Inky_Wretch and OscarMadison like this.
  5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Four pages and nobody has mentioned Widespread Panic? Y'all are harshin' my mellow.

franticscribe and OscarMadison like this.
  6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Can't argue the first two but as great as Johnny Winter and Billy Gibbons are they are both from Texas (Johnny was heavily into blues, not sure he played much "southern rock". Gibbons was a tremendous blues and boogie guitarist in ZZ Top's pre-MTV days). I would add Gregg Allman, as fine a blues singer as has ever lived (especially when he was younger), fight amongst yourselves for the fourth spot

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Dickie Betts has to be there.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

There ya go. I'll buy that.

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

so basically the Allman Brothers belong on the Mt. Rushmore of Southern Rock.

franticscribe likes this.
  10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

"Grits Ain't Groceries", "Shout Bamalama", and "You Keep A-Knocking", all on Wet Willie II are great. Solid album. Loved them. I was just pulling the icons.

Gov't Mule certainly belongs on the list.

11. Neutral Corner

Damn right they do. They basically invented the genre.

12. Neutral Corner

Hit a fattie and kick back.

Draft saved Draft deleted