1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Southern Rock Mount Rushmore

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Driftwood, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Allman Brothers
    Lynyrd Skynyrd
    Marshall Tucker
    Atlanta Rhythm Section

I saw the first three plus Grinderswitch at the Georgia Jam in Atlanta in June of '74. That was probably the best Skynyrd show I ever saw. There was a looooong rain delay (stadium show) before the Allmans went on, and they were *wasted*. They tried to put out that someone had dosed the food and beverage backstage, but I think they just were kept waiting and had entirely too long to get a massive buzz on. I vividly remember two roadies holding Gregg by the elbows as they carried him out and plopped him on the organ bench.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

MTB's live album is spectacular, especially 24 Hours at a Time.

I'd go with NC's top 4. Love the ARS.

misterbc and BadgerBeer like this.
  3. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

24 Hours at a Time is awesome.

I think the most disappointed at a concert as I've ever been was MTB. They've got a handful of blockbuster songs, the rest was crap. After I heard the biggies, we left. My buddy who went with me had seen them previously. He told me to be prepared to be disappointed. When we walked out, he said, "I told you so."

4. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

ZZ Top and Tom Petty are not Southern Rock bands. They are rock bands from the south. I love both. They just aren't Southern Rock.

5. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

I agree with this
    That's why you can't eliminate Little Feat
    Although calling CCR southern rock would be stretching it

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

CCR is from northern California.

7. Neutral Corner

"I've been from Tucson to Tucumcari,
    Tehachapi to Tonapah..."

Little Feat was a blues/boogie band that started when Lowell George and Roy Estrada left Zappa's Mothers of Invention and joined with Bill Payne and Richie Hayward from George's previous band, The Factory. ("Don't Bogart that Joint" from the Easy Rider soundtrack.) They were a California band.

They played a little bit of all sorts of music, from New Orleans funk and jazz to folk, country, rock and blues. I loved them to death and was a major fan who saw them half a dozen times live while Lowell was alive, but while I did and do love their music, they simply were not a Southern Rock band in the sense that this thread is about.

I think that it would be entirely fair to say that they played some southern rock, but not that they were a Southern Rock band.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Personally, for southern rockers, I’d go ...

Allmans
    Isbell
    DMB
    Buffett

YMMV.

9. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

DMB is way south. From South Africa.

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. Neutral Corner

Isbell and Drive By Truckers certainly qualify. I was looking at it from the angle of the classic rock era, because I grew up right in the middle of all of that.

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. Inky_Wretch

DM is. But DMB was born in Charlottesville.

Chef2 likes this.
  12. Inky_Wretch

I get that. I grew up in the middle of it too. But I don’t listen to Ozark Mountain Daredevils and Tom Petty and the rest nearly as much as those four.

Draft saved Draft deleted